Chapter Four

Madison
Friday, July 18th

"Mr. Tomlinson, I'm here!" I called through the penthouse while stepping off the elevator. I looked around in search of the man but couldn't find him from where I was standing. "Mr. Tomlinson?"

"Afternoon, Madison, dear," I heard his soft voice say before I saw him appear from around the corner of the hallway while messing with the tie around his neck. "How was your morning?"

I hummed in thought while my eyes scanned the room. I noticed that Clifford's water bowl was empty. "It was okay. I slept in and then treated myself to some lunch," I said, walking over to the bowl and picking it up. "So it wasn't that eventful."

"That's good," he said and finished up with his tie.

As I filled up the bowl with water in the sink, Clifford trotted over towards me and sat down on his rump to stare up at me.

"Don't worry, buddy. It's coming," I assured him.

"You know," Louis began, "I was just about to do that. Walked in earlier and noticed it dry as a bone and planned to fill it. Thank you for doing that."

"Oh, it's no problem, Mr. Tomlinson," I told him and shut off the water before it overflowed the bowl. But as I picked the bowl up, the water spilled off the side and landed on the floor.

I'll clean that up after I put Clifford's bowl down.

I carried the bowl over to the placement mat on the floor and set the dog's water bowl down on it. "There you go, Cliff."

"I've got a meeting this evening and dinner with a few colleagues, so I won't be back until later this evening," Louis informed me while I crossed the kitchen to grab a paper towel to dry up the water, but when I did, I didn't notice the location where it spilled and ended up slipping.

I swore my life flashed before my eyes as I let out a scream and felt my body moving quickly through the air. Suddenly, I was caught in someone's arms. With my heart beating a mile a minute, I allowed my eyes to open to find Louis holding me.

My face suddenly turned a bright red out of pure embarrassment by my clumsy fall and how close his face was and thinking about how attractive he is. Five o'clock shadow and not a blemish in sight on his perfectly sculpted face. I noticed a smile pulling at his lips before I was scrambling out of his arms because my face was heating up even more.

"Are you alright?" He asked and went for the hand towel that sat on the counter.

I nodded when he looked back at me for a response and shyly tucked my hair behind my ear and watched as he wiped up the water.

After he cleaned it up, he tossed the towel into the sink and looked over at me. He then released a chuckle that made me frown out of confusion.

"Your face is beat red!" He teased, and that alone only made me even more red and was overwhelmed with the feeling of wanting to die in a hole. "Don't be embarrassed, dear! It was just an accident, and accidents do happen."

I looked down at the floor and mumbled an 'I know.' I tried to move my right foot but pain shot through the ankle, forcing a yelp out of me. I think I twisted my ankle.

"Oh no, are you alright?" Louis asked.

"Yeah, yeah! I'm fine!" I tried to assure him but he wasn't buying it when I attempted to walk over to a chair but instead, I limped.

"Love, you've got a limp. You hurt yourself," he said.

I jumped a little when I felt his warm hands touch my arms.