Chapter Eighteen

Madison
Tuesday, September 4th

I awoke to a bit of a commotion coming from outside the bedroom. I cracked my eyes open and allowed the daylight in, the light sort of blinding me a little. My eyes eventually adjusted to find that Louis' side of the bed was empty. I reached a hand out and touched where he lied and found that it was cold. He's been up for a while.

There were male voices outside talking. One voice was Louis' but I couldn't recognize the other male voice. I sat up in the bed and rubbed the rest of the sleep from my eyes. I'm surprised Louis is up early since he's been scrambling around for the past three days trying to prepare for the trip to LA.

I got up from the bed and left the room, padding into the foyer where both Louis and some man stood talking. The unknown man was holding Clifford's leash.

Oh no, he's here to take Clifford to Louis' LA home. I'm going to miss that big fuzzy guy.

The man caught sight of me and smiled generously. "Good morning, madam!"

"Good morning," I said a bit shyly.

Louis turned to see me and grinned. "Rise and shine, baby girl," he said and held an arm out for me to walk into.

I walked over to him and he wrapped his open arm around my waist. "Did you sleep well?" He asked.

"Yeah," I responded.

He kissed the top of my head before tending back to the man before us. "So, uhh—I'll be in LA on the seventh, so I just need someone to take care of him for the next three days until I get home."

"Not a problem, Mr. Tomlinson," the man said. "I'll see you on the seventh, sir."

"Great! Thank you," Louis said and held his hand out, which the man gladly took with the hand that didn't hold the leash and shook Louis' hand.

"Alright, Clifford, let's get you on a plane back to LA, buddy," the man said, heading for the elevator while Clifford walked beside him.

I noticed Louis was wearing a suit, which made me a little confused because I thought he had taken the day off today to hang out at home with me.

Once the elevator doors slid shut, I looked up at Louis and he noticed. "What's the matter, babe?" He asked.

"I thought you took the day off for today," I said and pouted.

"I'm sorry, baby, but I've got to go to the office real quick. They're having some sort of crisis over there and I need to go figure it out since my employees don't do what they're told," he said, pulling me away from him.

"But you said last night that—"

"I know what I said, but I have to get this shit fixed before we go to LA in three days," he said.

I sighed. "You haven't made time for us in a week..."

"And I'm really sorry, Madison," he said, grabbing his wallet and phone from the dining table and stuffing them into his trouser pockets. "But I'll be home in four hours. We'll buy in, watch a movie, and relax, I promise!"

"Pinky promise?" I said in all seriousness and held my pinky out to him.

He knew I was being serious, so he interlocked his pinky with mine. "I pinky promise." He pulled his hand away but stepped forward to press a gentle kiss against my lips. "I'll be home before you know it."

"Okay, have a good day," I said.

"Thank you, baby," he said and headed for the elevator. "Decide what you want to eat for tonight and I'll order it while I'm on my way home."