Chapter Six

Madison
Friday, July 25th

I turned in front of the mirror, checking out every angle of my body in the black cocktail dress. I personally think it's a little much even though it's kind of a basic dress. It just has the simple straps going over the shoulders and fits right to my figure. It shows off quite a bit of leg and cleavage, which I'm not use to. It reaches about three or four inches above my knees. I fluffed my hair that I decided to keep down and brushed it off my shoulders. And I have to say, my makeup looks pretty good—a brown smokey eye and a burgundy matte lipstick. I'm also wearing silver hooped earrings to top it off.

I look down at my shoes, which are black ankle strap sandal heels. They're not the most comfortable shoes but they're not the worst shoes in the world. They fit with the dress, so why not, right? I still feel bad for allowing Louis to pay for my outfit. I'll make it up to him.

I grabbed my black leather clutch from off my bed along with my phone and left my dingy apartment to catch my Lyft that waited out front of the complex for me. I noticed that the sky was getting darker the later it went into the evening, the time nearing eight o'clock. Louis told me to be there at eight even though the party started at seven-thirty. I don't know why, but it's really not that big of a deal.

I climbed into the back of the Lyft and buckled myself in before the driver began towards Louis' place. I'm sure there are going to be quite a few well-known people at this party.

I arrived at the magnificent building and thanked the driver as I got out of the car. I shut the door and turned to find a couple walking in wearing classy outfits that I'm sure costs hundreds of dollars. I walked in behind them. There was a man with a list in the lobby and he took the couples names before nodding as an 'okay, you can go' and allowed them on the elevator. I was up next.

"Name," the man ordered.

"Madison Quinn," I said.

I watched as his eyes fell down the list before spotting my name. He nodded and I boarded the elevator with the couple.

We made it to the proper floor of the penthouse and stepped off the elevator. I allowed the couple off first, the man allowing his lady off first. I followed close behind, walking in behind the couple. I looked around at the sea of people that stood around in classy clothing with drinks in their hands, chatting it up.

I searched for Louis with just my eyes, not wanting to get lost among the many people. I eventually spotted him to my right near the large windows talking to another fairly attractive man. Louis had his right hand tucked into the pocket of his trousers while the other hand held a glass of champagne, nodding his head every so often as the other man spoke to him. Louis wore a navy blue blazer with a black handkerchief in the right pocket, a white button-up underneath, black trousers, and black dress shoes. His hair was somewhat pulled away from his forehead but brushed to the left side of his head to make some kind of quiff but his fringe was curled. He also had some facial hair grown in to sculpt and contour his perfect face. I'd expect him to have women hanging off his arms but oddly enough, there wasn't. Not even one.

His eyes caught sight of me but he took a double take when he realized it was me and beckoned me over. I gladly walked over and he immediately wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me in to him. I looked up at the man in front of us noticing that he was giving me a once over.

"Madison, meet the representative of my company, Nicholas Carter. And Nicholas, meet my uh—my girlfriend, Madison Quinn," he introduced us to each other, but I was taken back when he called me his girlfriend. He's jealous and doesn't want Nicholas having eyes for me.