Chapter Twenty-Six

Madison
Wednesday, September 19th

"Mhm...right, right, right...yes, I spoke to William yesterday..."

Louis paced the room with a phone held to his ear and the other hand stuffed into the pocket of his trousers with a concentrated look on his face while he spoke about work-related concepts. My eyes followed back and forth as I sat comfortably on the black leather couch in his office. The leather felt like ice against my skin as the air vent sat just right above where I sat.

My eyes couldn't help themselves as they scanned his body up and down. The solid black button-up and black skinny jeans with beige suede laced boots looked very fitting and attractive. His hair was brushed back, but there wasn't a lot of product holding it together, so it looked almost free-flowing and the stubble dusting his jawline framed his face and angled his jaw to make it appear sharper.

"Right...did you get my email about—oh! Good!" Louis plopped down into his chair and leaned back, his eyes trained on me as he spoke. "Mhm...okay..." His lips turned up into a smile.

My fingers were absentmindedly fidgeting with the necklace around my neck. His eyes looked down at my fingers playing with my necklace before he was looking away to turn his body towards his laptop on his desk. "Yes..." He started clicking away at his computer. "Alright, I'll work on getting that to you. I'll fax it over in twenty minutes."

I focused my eyes back on the necklace my fingers were still fidgeting with. I turned it at a certain angle and it glinted in the light. My body still gave off a weird feeling, almost like I wasn't deserving of something like this.

"Fantastic! You're a life saver, Sara!" Louis chuckled and gently turned his chair side to side. "Thank you! I'm sure I'll be speaking to you again shortly...alright, bye-bye." He ended the call and tossed his phone on the desk before turning his chair so he could look at me.

"Heard anything from Emerson yet?" He asked.

"Nope, not yet," I mumbled, dropping the necklace from my fingers and resting my hands in my lap.

Louis examined me, his eyes scanning my face and the outfit I was wearing. A soft grin appeared on his face. "Come here," he said and patted his lap.

I stood to my feet and approached him to sit myself in his lap, which he wrapped his arms around me to hold me securely against him. The fond evident on his face hinted that he wanted a kiss, especially when his eyes dropped to my lips. I leaned in and he pressed his lips against mine. "You're so beautiful," he spoke softly when he pulled away. I leaned my head against his in response.

"I don't feel like it," I mumbled.

"You may not feel like it but you are, whether you believe it or not."

"The only thing beautiful about me is the necklace around my neck," I said half-jokingly.

"Your beauty is no match, darling."

I rolled my eyes very subtly. It's been a week since I've been wearing this necklace and I feel weird every time I look at it, almost like it doesn't belong to me or around my neck. Almost like I'm not worthy of it.

I pulled my head away from his but I could feel his eyes on me, so I sneaked a peek at his face and he looked concerned. My phone buzzed in the pocket of my shorts, so I pulled it out to see a text from Emerson.

'Be there in 5!'

"Emerson texted me. She's going to be here really soon." I jumped up from Louis' lap. "You're going to like her! She's a bit rowdy but she's really cool."