05

The bus ride was silent. Mark didn't know what to say, and Haechan wasn't even trying to start a conversation. They just sat next to each other. Mark was looking at the window, while Haechan was on his phone.

Was it true that they knew each other back then?

How close were they? Did they go to the same kindergarten? Or were they neighbors?

Mark would like to ask Haechan, but he couldn't.

The bus stopped near a small school building, probably an elementary school. Both of the teenagers got off. Haechan led the way, heading towards a narrow street.

"Where are we going?" Mark asked.

"Oh shush. Just enjoy the walk. Tell me, do you easily get tired?"

"No."

"Good. It might be awhile until we reach our destination."

The buildings along the street were mostly apartments. Mark found a convenience store, a small café, a street food restaurant... Basically anything you could find in a simple, middle-class neighborhood.

Haechan was fast, and Mark catched up with him. He finally managed to walk next to Haechan.

"How old are you?" Mark asked.

Haechan turned to Mark, still walking. "Why do you care?"

"Come on, I just want to know. We're partner here, in our little adventure of forgetting slash remembering the past. Not adventure. What did you call it again? Ah, time travel."

"Yeah, that's a ridiculous idea." Haechan snorted. His ears went red because of the embarrassment.

"No it's not! It's way better than just calling this an adventure. Time travel is a good name." Mark nudged Haechan's side with a big smile, teasing him to remove the sour face. "Come on."

Haechan sighed. "Fine."

"Okay, so how old are you?"

Haechan clicked his tongue. He didn't like it when people's questions starting to get personal. But it was Mark, so Haechan went along.

"Seventeen."

"Wow, okay. Are you a high school student?"

"No, I was in the acceleration program, so I've graduated last year. Now I go to a college."

"Smart kid, eh?"

Haechan smiled bitterly. "I have to be smart. That's the only way I can enroll to a college. I got a scholarship from the government. If I fuck up once, I'll lose it."

Mark didn't say anything about it. So... Haechan wouldn't be able to get a proper education if the government didn't support him?

"Where did you live?"

"In the dorm, ran by the college."

"And your parents?"

"You'll see when we get there."

"Are you taking me to your parents' house?"

"No."

"Then—"

"I know you want to get to know me because we're partnered up for this time travel. But, oh my, you can be a pain in the ass. Can't you shut up?"

Mark didn't usually take orders from people aside from his parents, but he listened to Haechan that time. He was a stranger, and Haechan might felt uncomfortable talking about his personal life. Of course, that must be the case.