Chapter Twenty One

As they were driving down the road, Dean got a call from Bobby.

"How far away am I?" asked Dean after a pause.

Another pause. "A good place to look."

Yet another pause. "What?...Right." Dean hung up, seeming upset.

Leia put her hand on Dean's shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze. "Dean, we've gotta be careful about how we approach Sam. You attract more flies with honey rather than vinegar, or however that saying goes."

"I know that. Why does everyone keep telling me that? I know better than anyone how to approach Sam." said Dean angrily, shrugging off Leia's hand from his shoulder.

"Well, you do have a tendency to say things out of anger that you regret later." said Leia quietly.

The rest of the ride was filled with so much tension that you could have cut it with a butter knife.

When they pulled up to the motel that Sam was staying at, Dean sat and waited for Sam to leave. When Sam finally did leave, Dean got out of the car and started toward the door of Sam and Ruby's room. Leia ended up following, not wanting things to get too out of hand. Dean opened the door and started to fight with Ruby. Leia assumed that Sam had heard the scuffle and that's why he rushed into the room, trying to get in between his brother and Ruby. Leia just stood around awkwardly near the door, not sure what to do.

Once Sam had finally gotten between them and had them broken apart, he turned to Dean and said, "No. Let her go. Just take it easy."

"Well, it must have been some party you two had going, considering how hard you tried to keep me from crashing it. Well, solid try, but here I am. Oh, and Leia's here, too."

"Don't drag me into this!" said Leia.

"Dean, Leia, I'm glad you're here. Look, let's just talk about this." said Sam calmly.

"Soon as she's dead," said Dean, nodding at Ruby, "We can talk all you want."

"Ruby, get out of here." said Sam.

"No, she's not going anywhere." said Dean, moving towards her.

Ruby ended up getting away, and Dean turned back to Sam.

"She's poison, Sam." said Leia quietly.

"Not you too, Leia. It's not what you think." said Sam sadly.

"Look at what she did to you. I mean, she up and vanishes for weeks at a time, leaves you cracking out for another hit-" said Dean.

"She was looking for Lilith." said Sam defensively.

"That is French for manipulating your ass ten ways from Sunday." said Dean.

"You're wrong, Dean."

"Sam, you're lying to yourself. I just want you to be okay. You would do the same for me. You know you would."

"Just listen." Sam raised his hand, the one with Ruby's knife still in it. Leia moved away from the door and towards Sam, but Sam then tossed it onto the bed.

"Just listen for a second. We got a lead on a demon close to Lilith. Come with us, Dean. We'll do this together." said Sam, sounding hopeful that Dean would consider the proposition.

"That sounds great. As long as it's you and me. Demon bitch is a deal-breaker. You kiss her goodbye, we can go right now." said Dean. Sam's face fell.

"I can't." said Sam softly.

Dean turned and nodded his head, thinking to himself.

"Dean, I need her to help me kill Lilith. I know you can't wrap your head around it, but maybe one day you'll understand. I'm the only one who can do this, Dean." Sam turned to Leia. "Leia, you believe me, don't you? You know for sure that I am the only one who can do this."

"I can't tell you that, Sam. I'm sorry." said Leia softly.

Dean turned back to Sam. "No, you're not the one who's gonna do this."

"Right, right. The angels think it's you." said Sam, sounding ticked off.

"You don't think I can?" said Dean.

"No. You can't. You're not strong enough." said Sam matter-of-factly.

"And who the hell are you?" said Dean angrily.

"I'm being practical here. I'm doing what needs to be done."

"Yeah? You're not gonna do a single damn thing." said Dean, that signature authority of older siblings in his voice.

"Stop bossing me around, Dean. Look, my whole life, you take the wheel, you call the shots, and I trust you because you're my brother. Now I'm asking you for once, trust me."

"No. You don't know what you're doing, Sam."

"Dean..." said Leia, trying to tell him to tone it down with the bossiness.

"Yes, I do." said Sam.

"Then that's worse." said Dean.

"Why? Look, I'm telling you-" said Sam.

"Because it's not something that you're doing, it's what you are! It means-" Dean interrupts.

"What? Say it." said Sam, the hurt thick in his voice and tears in his eyes.

"It means you're a monster." said Dean softly.

"Dean Winchester! You take that back right now!" said Leia, hands on her hips.

The boys said nothing. Suddenly, Sam punched Dean in the face.

"Sam, I know you're hurt, but that doesn't give you the right to take it out on your brother. You both need to-" Leia didn't get to finish her sentence before Dean got up and punched Sam. They continued fighting around the room.

"Why me?" Leia groaned, and put her face in her hands. She heard something (probably very expensive) break, and that's when she moved to try and break the two apart.

She was successful for a few moments, before getting knocked into a chest of drawers by Dean and hitting her head very hard against the wood. She slumped to the ground.

That broke Dean's concentration. "Leia!" he said.

He was then punched to the ground by Sam, and Sam pinned him down and began choking him. Once Sam was satisfied, he let Dean go, leaving him on the floor.

"You don't know me. You never did, and you never will." said Sam softly.

As Sam started towards the door, Dean began to sit up.

"You walk out that door, don't you ever come back." said Dean, moving towards Leia.

Sam's steps paused for a moment, but they then continued towards the door.

"Dean, you're fucking stupid sometimes, you know that?" slurred Leia, attempting to sit up.