Chapter Thirty Five

Leia was standing around a crime scene with Sam and Dean.

"Hi, guys. Where the hell were you when I was busy 'performing'?" she asked.

"Well, I was in the audience. That was a fucking scary experience. Those fans went rabid every time one of you opened your mouth." said Dean with a small shudder.

"Dude, you've faced, vampires, werewolves, and even demons...and you're scared of teenage fans?" asked Sam.

"You weren't there so you don't know." said Dean defensively, but then turned to Leia, "You were really good. But hopefully you'll never have to do that again, because that'll attract a lot of unwanted attention."

Leia turned to Sam. "And where were you, mister?" she said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I was in some sort of control room, manipulating the cameras for the performance." said Sam, "And Dean's right. You were really good. You seemed like you were in your element."

"Honestly? I was scared shitless. I don't like performing in front of people." she straightened out the black blazer she was wearing, and adjusted her blue blouse to look like it was properly tucked into her black pencil skirt. She pushed her sunglasses up the bridge of her nose, since all the cameras and flashing lights of the police cars were giving her a huge headache.

Dean looked around at everything, took off his sunglasses, and groaned. "I hate this game. I hate that we're in a procedural cop show and you wanna know why? Because I hate procedural cop shows. There's like three hundred of them on television and they're all the freaking same. It's ooh, plane crashed here--oh shut up."

Leia nodded in agreement. "I hate them, but for a different reason. My friend once pointed out how they process the scene completely wrong, and I looked up some of the stuff she said was wrong. Turned out, she was right. Now I can't look at them the same because I know they're doing everything wrong. Not to mention if I watch too many episodes my paranoia gets set off."

Sam seemed to look a little past where Dean and Leia were standing in front of him, and took off his sunglasses.

"Hey." he said.

"What?" said Leia, turning to see where Sam was looking.

"Check out sweet tooth over there." said Sam, gesturing towards an officer with a lollipop in his mouth.

Dean turned to see the officer he was talking about, and asked, "Think that's him?"

"I'm not sure." said Leia.

"Just, um, follow my lead." said Sam, walking over to the body. Dean and Leia followed behind him.

The boys put their sunglasses back on and the officer asked, "You, uh, you guys okay?"

"Yeah. What do we got?" asked Dean. The officer kneeled next to the body.

"Well, aside from the ligature marks around his neck, he has what appears to be a roll of quarters jammed down his throat." said the officer.

Dean took off his sunglasses and grabbed a flashlight. He got closer to the body and turned it on to examine the victim.

Sam took off his sunglasses, and without missing a beat, he said, "Well I say, jackpot."

The officer snorted and Leia tried so hard to keep a straight face. Sam put his sunglasses back on.

"Also, there is a stab wound to the lower abdomen." continued the officer.

Dean picked up a stick, and stuck it in the stab wound. He then put his sunglasses back on.

"Well I say, no guts, no glory." said Dean.

The officer laughed, and Leia smiled brightly at the joke.

Sam pushed his sunglasses further up the bridge of his nose and said, "Get this man a Tums."

"Gutter ball!" Leia piped up cheerfully, laughter in her voice. The officer just continued laughing.

"Good one, guys." said the officer, wiping his eyes.

Leia hadn't seen Dean sneak behind the officer, but she definitely saw the stake go through his chest. None of the other officers seemed to notice or care. One of the background officers shifted into the Trickster.

He laughed. "You've got the wrong guy, idiots."

"Please tell me we didn't just murder an innocent person." she asked.

"No, all of the characters in here are just from my imagination. And you guys' too, of course." said the Trickster.

"Did we get the wrong guy?" asked Dean.

Again, Leia didn't notice when Sam had snuck behind the Trickster, but she saw the stake go through his chest. He fell to the ground, and she could feel her stomach drop to her feet. There was a burst of static, and the paper mill flickered to life before their eyes. They were dressed in the same outfits as when they entered, and the boys started to walk back to the car. Leia stood there for a moment, looking at the Trickster's body with tears in her eyes. She prided herself on being more in tune with her feelings than most people, and the fact that she couldn't explain why she felt so sad when Sam stabbed the Trickster both confused and scared her a little. If she could name the feeling and its source, she could control it and figure out how to react to it appropriately. She didn't even know the Trickster, so why did she care so much that he was dead?

"Come on, Leia! We're out of here." called Dean.

"One minute!" she yelled back. She walked over to the Trickster's body and took the stake out, closing his eyes so that he looked a little more at peace. She then ran to catch up with the boys.