Part 1

I turned over on my bed to slam my alarm clock, "Come on," I thought. "I've already hit snooze ten times."

That's when it hit me; I hit snooze ten times. I leap from my bed, put on my black glasses, and looked at the clock : 6:57 A.M.

"Crap." I said aloud. I have to be at the bus stop by 7:15.

I put on my white shirt, dark green beanie, and jeans. I ran downstairs to get some breakfast.

"Good morning Lola." Mom said, in a chipper voice.

How can she be so chipper? I never understood.

Dad was practically out the door so I couldn't talk to him, and my older brother (Ward) was eating breakfast.

I marched over to him. "Ward can you PLEASE drive me to school." I begged.

He laughed, "You know I can't!"

My mom turns to him as I made a quick breakfast. "You haven't been taking Lola to school?" She said in a angry voice.

He rolled his eyes. "I already explained this: She's a bender, it's embarrassing."

Being a bender in this day and age, was considered shameful, and Ward was a popular boy at our school.

Mom rolled her eyes at Ward as I ate fruit. "Ward," She said curtly, "you're taking Lola to school." Mom turned around and smiled at me as my brother glared at us.

I have always been mom's favorite, dad's has always been Ward.

After breakfast I slipped on my shoes and my favorite camo jacket.

Ward and I walked outside to his car. When we both buckle he turns to me before he starts driving, "Listen," he said in a serious voice. "stay away from me today at school, okay?"

I nodded.

Him and my father, both didn't like me for my bending. I'm a great earth bender. I've had lessons since my tenth birthday, I begged and begged my parents for lessons, they were expensive and hard to find but they found them and let me have them. I stopped them this school year because I had learned as much as I need, plus like I said, they're expensive.

We pull into the school and Ward makes me walk out first then he waits a minute then he comes out. It was a rainy morning and as I ran inside the building I watched a waterbending teens splash each other. I don't know why they use bending in public. You can get fined or put in jail. Since Avatar Korra died, two thirds of the benders were killed, because if you were a baby bender, most of the time you were killed. After Korra died the government killed any baby bender accused of being the Avatar. They think they killed four avatars. They stopped the killings because they think they scared Raava into hiding, but I never was sure.

I walked to my locker and checked my phone. I had 5 minutes till class.

"Lola!" I turned to see my best friend Jenna walking towards me. Jenna had bright brown/gold eyes and brown hair.

"Hey Jenna." I replied.

She leaned on the locker next to mine., "So, how was your weekend?"

I shrugged, "I sat at home by myself."

She frowned and nodded. "Me too. You should've come over."

I gave her a smile.

We both were outcasts. She was a firebender and a good one. We met when a bully was about to beat me up and she same to help, she started firebending at him, so her and I got detention, but no detention for the bully. We started talking and I told her how I just started lessons and she told me she's had them since she was five. We now are amazing friends.

As we walked to our first class we walked past the group of mean kids in our grade, there were six. "Well look who it is." The water tribe girl, Cindy said. "Its pebble master and s'more maker."

That is what our nicknames were.

Jenna gave a fake smile. "Oh sorry, I would roast you, but I hate the smell of burning plastic." Jenna sassed.

We ran as they tried to grasp their brains on what Jenna just said.

Throughout the school day was boring but, when it came to lunch we sat next to each other.

"Jenna!" I said. "Did you see what we are learning about tomorrow?"

She looked at me with big eyes. "Yeah, I saw. We're learning about the history of the Avatar!" she said in a hushed voice.