Part 42

Jenna squeezed my hand and my mom crushed me with a hug as Spencer, Oliver, Grant, and Carter came rushing in.

The light shining in my face was unbearable and the cold of Jenna's fingers woke me up faster. I sat up as I looked at the happy faces in front of my bed. I took a deep breath and forced a smile.

"Hey everyone."

"We're so glad you're awake, Lola. How are you feeling?" Grant asked.

I shrugged. "Fine, I guess."

My mom leaned over to the table and grabbed a needle.

"I'm gonna need to take some blood from you, Lola. To make sure you are nice and healthy." She said.

I nodded and she pressed the thin sharp needle on my bare arm. She pressed the sharp object a little below a purple star scar.

"Is that what my father left?" Carter asked shallowly.

Mom hesitated but said, "Yes, the serum left a scar around the area it spread."

The scar wasn't even the size of my fist, it was the size of a big coin and its color was a deep painful purple.

I saw Carter shake his head.

"Carter this is not your fault. You hear me?" reassured him.

He rubbed his head as mom said, "Hey, Grant can you show me where your medical supplies are?"

Grant glanced at me then said, "Yes, right this way."

Mom sat up and kissed my head. Then she walked out with Grant.

"Carter, it's not your fault. I failed as a earth bender, I should've felt his vibrations but I had my guard down. It's not your job to protect me from ev-"

"But I was supposed to protect you! I was supposed to keep you away from him!" He shouted.

Jenna blinked then looked over at Oliver and Spencer.

"Hey guys, you want to go see the lemurs?" She asked with a fake smile.

Spencer raised an eyebrow. "I already-"

"Let's see them again!" Jenna shouted as she grabbed their arms, and with a confused look on Oliver's face, they were gone.

I stood up off the bed but immediately stumbled.

Carter caught me before I fell and set me on the bed.

"I can handle myself." I grumbled. "You're being overprotective. Calm down. I'm fine."

"No, it's not okay! You survived this but what if you didn't? Or what if next time it's: Jenna, Spencer, my mom, your mom!" Carter shouted.

"You think I don't know that!?" I shouted back as he paced the room. "You think that ever since I found out I was the Avatar, it hasn't come into my mind? I know, Carter! I know the risks! I know that it is likely that one of them will die! You think I don't worry about this?"

"I never said that," He mumbled.

"Yeah, but you implied it."

We sat in silence for probably only a minute but then Carter sighed.

"So what now? Are we breaking up?" He asked.

"No, I don't know. I've never been in a relationship before. But, you need learn that I can handle myself and I learn to never trust a creepy earth kingdom man." I replied.

"We were eventually gonna fight. But, I need you to stop being so overprotective."

Carter sighed and nodded his head. "Look, I'm sorry. I never wanted to make you feel weak. I'm just worried about you. I've never felt this way before, about anyone." He replied.