Part 16

After Carter dropped me off I fell flat on my bed. I heard dad walk in the house. I listened--trying to hear if Ward and Cindy were home. I heard dad say hello to someone. They said hello back. It was Ward. And by the tone of his voice I could tell that Cindy wasn't here.

"Mom here?" Dad asked Ward.

"She came to grab something to eat then left--said something about dinner with a friend." Ward answered.

I rolled over on my bed and gave out a relaxed sigh. I had no reason to worry. No one knew I left. I turned on my phone to find five texts messages and a phone call.

I dropped my phone. They were from Spencer. I forgot about our date! I messed up the day, I thought we had our date next friday! I called him back. I sat up on my bed.

The phone started ringing and the anxious thoughts filled my mind:

What if he doesn't pick up?

What if he hates me?

Wait, what will I say?!

Crap, it's getting closer!

"Hey..." Said a quiet voice on the other end.

I let out a sigh of relief. "Oh Spencer, I'm so sorry. My dad grounded me and I just back my phone and I totally forgot." It wasn't a complete lie. I did forget.

There was silence, then I asked, "Are you mad?"

It took him a second but he said, "No, I was mostly worried."

Ugh. He was worried? Wow I'm a jerk. "I'm so sorry. Can you forgive me?"

"Yeah, it's fine."

I bit my lip. "Do you want to have tea after school on Monday?" I asked.

I could hear happiness in his voice again. "Yeah, cool."

I smiled as we said bye and hung up.

I walked downstairs to make a salad. (Paul advised I try to eat healthy) I walked in the kitchen and I felt the glares from both Ward and Dad. As I opened the fridge to pull out the lettuce, Ward said, "So Cindy tells me that you and Spencer have been talking."

I felt my hands tighten. "Yes, and what about it?" I said with a hint of fear in my voice.

"You guys a thing now?" Dad asked.

I pulled out the lettuce and closed the door. "No."

"You guys gonna get married and curse this world with more benders, huh pebble master?" Ward spat in my face.

It took every bit of me to not bend at him. But I said with a shaky voice, "It would be better to fill the world with benders, than to fill them with cowards like you."

I stood my ground as Ward glared down at me and spat, "You're just as bad as the wrecker."

In our world that was slang for the Avatar. It's used as a insult.

Dad stood between us. "Alright stop it. Lola make your salad and go to your room. Ward calm down and finish your food."

That night when I went to bed I had nightmares about the government finding me and killing me. I woke up in a cold sweat and I drank some water. I looked at the clock:

7:30. Really? Its a weekend.

I flopped out of bed and got dressed. I walked downstairs grabbed a banana and I saw my mom sitting at the table.

"Hey honey." She said.

"Hi mom. Did dad tell you what happened?" I asked.

Worry wrinkles formed on her face. "No..."

I sat down. "Well...Ward called me the wrecker." I looked down as I said it. Well it's not like he's wrong but I still felt hurt.

Mom stood up. "What? Why would he do that?" I got up and grabbed my fruit.

"Because I'm going on a date with Cindy's ex."

Mom paced the kitchen. "Oh, like that's a reason." She kept mumbling about "Where she went wrong" and "Why can't he just leave Lola alone."

I interrupted mom and asked if I could spend the night at Jenna's. She gave her approval so I packed and headed there.

I knocked on her front door. Her Aunt Mai opened the door. She had brown hair with streaks of gray. "Hello, Lola! Jenna is in her room."

I walked in and saw Jenna's older sister sitting at the couch. "Hey Stella." I said as I walked down the hallway.

"Hey Lola." She responded.

I opened Jenna's door and she was laying on her bed listening to music. She pulled out an ear bud.

"Sleepover?" I asked with a smile.

She smiled back. "Yes please."