Part 44

I slammed my door shut and fell onto my bed.

The worst part of this all is knowing I was betrayed-fooled- by people I loved.

I shoved my pillow in my face and let my tears soak up in the fabric when I heard a knock on my door.

"Go away." I grumbled.

"I'll take that as a 'Come in'." A voice said.

I heard my door creak. I didn't look up but I could tell it was Carter.

"Hey..." He said slowly closing the door and sitting on my bed.

"You alright?" He asked.

"No." I said sitting next to him with my head on his chest.

"That's fine. No one expects you to be okay." He said holding me in a hug.

"I trusted them. He was a mentor, she was family." I whispered.

"I know what you mean. I grew up with Paul." Carter hushed while petting my hair.

"Why are you here, but I couldn't be with Jenna?" I shot turning my head to look at him.

Carter stared into my eyes and hesitated but said, "Because you know Jenna. She needs time to go let out steam. You...you need comfort, Lola." He said kissing my forehead.

"You know I love you?" I said to him with a weak smile as tears still ran down my face.

"I love you too...Avatar Lola..." He said with a smile.

I gasped. "You did not just call me that."

Carter played with my hair. "Oh, babe I just did."

"Okay Air Nomad Carter." I said pulling him into a kiss. I wrapped my arms around Carters neck and he held onto my waist.

I needed this. Right then. I needed to feel something besides pain and betrayal.

Carter pulled away and I opened my eyes. "You know kissing me isn't going to help you feel better?" Carter told me.

"Just let us have this. I need to feel something else." I whispered.

Carter nodded. "Me too."

So we sat there, holding each other. After a couple minutes I slowly let go and started rubbing my hand gently on Carter cheek. He gave me a small smile as I started twirling his hair.

"Y'know at that party when you turned into drunk Lola? You were trying to braid my hair." Carter chuckled.

I rolled my eyes. "Why can't we just forget about that night?"

"Because it was funny." Carter said with a wide smile.

I gave him a quick kiss and then started snuggling with him. I was tracing my finger on his hand when I finally noticed it.

"Oh...I see it now!" I said quietly.

"What?" He asked.

"The arrow on your hand is a shade darker!" I said in awe. I can't believe I didn't believe him back when we first met and he told me that the arrow on his right hand was a shade darker.

"See! Finally someone believes me." Carter said happily.

"You're the best." I said kissing his hand.

"I know." Carter said grabbing my hands into his.

He just held me for a minute before I said, "I wonder if...if there was no bending...if there was no Avatar...how we would've met? If we would've met?"