Part 24

As the door opened I felt the cooling air on my cheeks. Freedom. It had been so long since I had felt this way.

I walked out of the woods and came by Jenna's old house. I remembered the White Lotus said they had spies watching her house so I stayed clear of that.

I remembered where he said he lived. A block away from my house. My eyelids felt heavy and my legs ached, but I finally came to his street. Then I realized my problem. Which was his room?

I took a breath and stomped on the ground. I could feel him on the other side of the house on the first floor. I walked around until I came to his window. I tried to lift it but it was locked. I knocked on the window.

Spencer whipped open his curtains. I could see the shock on his face. I pressed my finger against my lips, telling him to be quiet. He slowly opened the window. I lifted one leg in then another. I closed the window and turned around.

He was about to say something but he couldn't cause I ran to him and hugged him. He held me tight and asked, "Lola, Where have you been? I've been worried for two months!"

I let go and wiped my tears. "I can't tell you. But I'm safe and you CAN NOT tell a soul I was here."

He just stared blankly at me. "You're different." He said.

I pushed my hair out of my face. "Well, if you have been through what I have, you would be different too."

He still stared at me. "You're about a inch taller, and seem more...more..."

"Broken?"

"I was gonna say bold. And yeah...a bit broken. And you're wearing contacts!"

He grabbed my hands and stared into my eyes. "Please Lola, don't leave." His diamond eyes were staring into mine. I then realized how hard this must have been for him.

"No, Spencer. Please don't tell anyone I've been here.I just came to say...goodbye" I also remembered I came here to tell him about my struggles with Carter, but I couldn't I didn't want to ruin this happy moment.

I turned to grab the window to leave, but Spencer grabbed my waist, spun me around and kissed me. I placed my hands up against his warm cheeks.

I pushed back and said, "I'm sorry, I have to leave."

I opened the window and hopped out. It was dark now so I sprouted a fire spark in my hand and walked to the woods.

***

"Where have you been?" Carter yelled at me, when I came out of the elevator. "I had to cover for you saying, I heard you tell Jenna you weren't hungry so you went to bed!"

I walked forward ignoring him. "Lola! Lola!" He called after me. "I can't live like this anymore! What can I do to make it up to you?" He cried.

I turned around and marched right to him. His eyes were red and I'm guessing so was mine, because I screamed back, "LET ME SAY GOODBYE! THAT'S ALL YOU HAD TO DO!" I fell on my knees and cried in my hands. "I didn't even get to say goodbye."

Carter cradled me in his arms and whispered, "I know and I'm sorry." I sobbed more and more. I'm sure people saw but I didn't care I was already known as the crazy Avatar. He pick me up as I still sobbed. He carried me to my room. He took of my black sweater (I had a shirt underneath), my shoes, and my hat. He turned off the light and left.