Hunt

You stared in confusion at the small sticky note on your side table. The words 'Good morning, beautiful' were scrawled onto the vibrant piece of paper in messy handwriting. You plucked it off and stood up, placing it safely in your diary. Then you headed to the washroom.

Little notes and bits and bobs like this had been popping up everywhere you went for the past few weeks and you had no clue what or who it was. A few times it was your favorite candy. You hadn't eaten the first few that came up but through observation(which consisted of you handing them to Clint and seeing if anything happened to him after consumption) you had come to the realization it was safe.

Sometimes it was a pair of comfy pajamas, or a bath already running after a long day's work. When you asked F.R.I.D.A.Y, the AI simply responded with the fact that it had no idea who had breached the room, because cameras weren't allowed in there.
You'd consulted Nat about it, with the exception that the discussion stays between you both and she said to just leave it,

"it's probably someone punking you,"

You couldn't lie to yourself, you knew that albeit it made you paranoid the first few times,
after a while it got quite enjoyable. The suspense of who it was, was slowly eating you up from the inside, but you ignored the feeling; still being highly observant though.

You had analyzed that your 'admirer' (whoever he was) had a tendency for making you feel homely and at ease. He usually complimented features that you found least striking in yourself and some features that you actually hated. He never exceeded his limits with what he said and kept a gentlemanly fashion to his words.

So the days went by, and you couldn't find any other clues. You had checked all the CCTV to see any suspicious activity but nothing there. You had compared the messages on the paper to ever single piece of handwriting you could find in all of the Avenger files and even hacked into the Stark system to try and see if F.R.I.D.A.Y was hiding something.

Your last resort was to do a checkup of all the rooms and after you'd gained permission from everyone to do so, you got to work.

But nope, nothing showed up. Until one very special evening.

It was the same as always, a sticky note by your bed when you got home from a very particularly tiring mission.

'Perhaps they should name a Star after you, for your beauty is like no other' pause. 'Now go take a bath, you stink'

The message made you chuckle at it's bluntness. You took a deep breath but froze as a foreign scent invaded your senses.

It was the scent of cologne.

You picked up the paper, giving it a sniff and sure enough, the slightest, most faint aroma of men's cologne clung onto it.

It smelled like peppermint and wood with faintest hint of cinnamon. It smelled like....

Your eyes widened in realization and mixed emotions shot through your body. You were glad you had figured out who it was but at the same time confused because what if this was a set up. A set up to get you to think it was somebody when it was actually someone else.

Was this a slip up from your admirer? Or was it something to throw you off?

Then something else hits you. If your admirer wanted to throw you off or play games with you, he would've done it a long time ago and made the said clue more obvious. This was a mistake. And it was perfect.

You quickly grabbed your diary and stuck the note in there, marking it with red so you would which one it was that helped you make the breakthrough. Then you trudge to the shower.