Volume 5 (Explanation and training)

Nora: Did he age backwards?

Jaune: He's possessed?

Ren: Or reincarnated!

Ruby: Oh! Isn't it weird?

On a red armchair in the living room sat Oscar bombarded with questions from Team RNJR. They were leaning before him... too close. Qrow came then up with a cup of coffee while Arion sat on a couch watching them.

Qrow: Okay, okay. Let's all just take a second and remember that this is very overwhelming for everyone.

Arion: Besides, you are too close. Give him some space.

They all stepped back with nervous chuckles. 

Oscar: Thanks. 

Qrow sat then to the same couch where Arion sat beside where Oscar sat. He then looked at Ruby who looked back smiling and giggled. Oscar looked then shyly away.

Oscar: Ah, sorry! It's just I've never really met a Huntsmen and Huntresses.

Ruby: Well, uh... we've never met a person with two souls, so, first times all around.

Oscar then chuckled and Qrow cleared his throat and all of them got his attention.

Qrow: Not to break up the whole "getting-to-know-you" game, but we need to have a talk. Mind showing us your little parlor trick, kid?

Oscar: *groaned* Yeah, okay. Just so you know, I'll still be here. 

Team RNJR looked at him confused. He then closed his eyes and lowered his head down to concentrate. A few seconds later a greenish light came out and dissapeared. Oscar then opened his eyes which became yellow but came back to normal.

Ozpin: It is so very good to see you again, students.

Jaune: Wait, what just happened?

Ren: Professor... Ozpin?

Ozpin: Correct. And though I may be the one speaking, Oscar is still present, mentally. He's merely handed over the control, so to speak. I'm afraid this all must be very perplexing.

 Nora: And alarming, and bizzare, and just really kind of hard to believe overall!

Ozpin: *chuckled* It's good to see you children still have your sense of humor. I know you've all been through tremendous hardship already. I'm sorry. 

Ruby: I mean, it's not your fault. 

Ozpin: It's all my fault. *Qrow went* I told you once that I made more mistakes than any man, woman, and child on this planet, and I wasn't exaggerating. I'm... cursed. For thousands of years, I've walked the surface of Remnant, living, dying, and reincarnating in the body of a like-minded soul. The Professor Ozpin you all met was not my first form, and clearly wasn't my last. It's an extraordinarily strenuous process on everyone involved.

Jaune: So, who... what... are you?

Ozpin: I am the combination of countless men who've spent their lives trying to protect the people of Remnant. *Qrow came back and gave him a cup of coffee* With every rebirth, my soul is eventually merged with another and I am changed, but my memories stay with me. This curse was bestowed upon me by the gods because I failed to stop Salem in the past. But we must stop her now.

Ruby: And how do we do that?

Ozpin: We start... by ensuring the safety of the Relic of Knowledge.

Later...

Nora: This is perfect! We were stuck at a dead end, but now, we can just take cute little boy Ozpin to Lionheart and have him set things straight.

Ozpin: Please don't call me that.