Volume 6 (Alone in the woods)

Ruby stares at the moon through a window, sitting on the staircase. Snow is drizzling outside. Ruby checks on Blake, Weiss, and Yang, who are sitting on the rug and staring at the fire from the fireplace. Maria reads a book while sitting on the sofa and Oscar is pacing back and forth. After checking on the others, Ruby stands up and walks toward Qrow. Qrow is sitting nearby the window, looking outside with his feet propped on the drawer.

Qrow: Storm's cleared up for now. We should be able to leave by morning.

Ruby: That's good.

Qrow: No... I don't have a good feeling about this place, especially with me around...

Ruby looks down at a wine bottle on the floor with Qrow's hand hovering near it, then looks at him.

Ruby: Are you... okay?

Qrow: (scoffs) Sure. Tell everyone to get some sleep. I'll wake you guys up just before sunrise.

Ruby walks away as Qrow drinks from the wine bottle. Ruby pauses and looks back at him before narrowing her eyes downward. Just when she is about to tell the others they should sleep, she sees Arion coming down from the stairs.

Arion: Oh, hey Ruby.

Ruby: Hey. Are you still thinking about what happened to your world? Or your time?

Arion: I can't stop to think about that. You have no idea how I feel. Everything I knew is gone. The magic, my friends, my family.... my-- (sighs). It doesn't matter anymore. You should go to sleep, I stay here to keep an eye on your uncle.

Back in the other room, the fire continues to burn. The book Maria is reading has a "III" on the cover, with the other two volumes on a nearby table.

Oscar: It's a diary?

Maria: The head of this household, Bartleby. Apparently, he and several other families founded this little settlement to try and live on their own. It sounds like it worked, at least for a spell.

Oscar: Grimm?

Maria: Just one of many hardships. Slowed down their farming, made everything harder... It's a shame, really. He seemed like quite the ambitious fellow, always thinking of new schemes to overcome the odds.

Ruby: (walking back into the room) Hey guys. Qrow said we should get some sleep. We're gonna head out early tomorrow.

Blake: Thank goodness.

Everyone gets up to get ready to sleep. Maria hops off the couch.

Maria: Hmph, the last thing you'll catch me doing is letting some kid tell me what to do. (in a mimicking voice) "Go to bed!" (scoffs)

Maria sits on an armchair, turns on the lamp next to it and continues reading from the book. Ruby shrugs and smiles before going to sleep herself. The fire continues to burn in the fireplace.

Meanwhile Arion sits leaned against the wall across from Qrow. His head rests on his knees and he notice since they got here, everyone got more tired than before.

Arion: Something is wrong in this place.

Qrow. Yeah, I thought it too. (drinks from the bottle) How does it feel to find out not only you already know this is the future but what happened to the magic? 

Arion: (looks up) Really now? I feel like I don't belong here anymore. Could you think to be the last one of your kind? It's horrible. Destiny must really hate me that I've ended up like that. Believe it or not: Since I'm here I've got more bad luck as I ever had. And that was before I met you.