• six •

Feels like slow motion, we're floating at the speed.
• • •
It was almost midnight when Rakim and I were driving back home. Wind was blowing in my face, playing with my hair that I let down before we left. I stuck my arm out, a little high, grinning like a fool. He kept looking at me, just smiling and not saying anything. Music on the radio said it all; we were listening to Kanye again, I just couldn't get enough. I felt good; after a while now.

Twenty minutes later, I was sitting on my bed, my sweater laying on the floor. I still felt hazy and I didn't feel like sleeping just yet. I actually didn't even want to be alone. I put my zebra slippers on and went out. Stopping at Rakim's door, I knocked and waited. He opened, shirtless, only wearing those black sweatpants. In general, sweats look good on him.

"Hey." He was surprised to see me.

"Hi." I said. "I'm sorry to bother you."

"You ain't..." He said and I just came up and hugged him. I badly needed some affection, I've been alone for too long. He wrapped his arms around me, squeezing me firmly.
"You okay shawty?" He asked.

I nodded while my head was resting on his shoulder. He smelled amazing, I didn't even know what I was doing.

"Come on." He said as we stepped inside his apartment. At first he wanted to sit on the couch but he changed his mind and led me to his bedroom. Leaving the door wide open we lied down and he put the thin silky duvet over me. He was lying on his side, caressing my hair as I was staring at his ceiling.
"What's goin' on with you?" He softly asked.

I shook my head. "Just didn't want to be alone. Sorry."

"Yo why you always apologizing, it's fine. If I didn't want you here, you wouldn't be, trust me." He said.

I looked at him and nodded.

"Now... you wanna talk about it?"

"I don't know, I don't really have anything to say." I explained.

"Alright. You want somethin' I can get you..." He offered but I declined.

"Can I stay here for a while?" I asked.

"Of course, you don't even have to ask." He said and wanted to get up but I grabbed his arm.

"Stay with me?" I looked up at him, as he was towering above me. "Please?"

"I ain't goin' nowhere. I'm just gonna grab some water, be back in a sec." He grinned.

"Okay." I replied and turned to the side. I fell asleep right after that; his bed was so comfortable and cosy, the vibes in the room were chill and I closed my eyes, drifting away in a second.

🦋

I opened my eyes, realizing I wasn't in my bed. I turned around and saw Rakim, sleeping right there next to me. It took me a while to pull myself together from my sleepy state; I lifted myself up and checked the time; 6:30am. I didn't need to be at work until 9 so my head crashed back on the soft pillow. Then I felt moving. I turned to the other side and saw him looking at me, sleepy eyes.

"How you feeling?" He asked and yawned.

"I'm alright, thanks for letting me stay over." I showed a small grin.

"Don't mention it." He said.

"I appreciate it." I ran my fingers through my hair. "I don't have to be at work until 9, so if you want to, we could grab some breakfast? My treat."

"Sure, just give me 10 minutes to get ready."

"Yeah, take 20, see you in a little bit." I smiled and got up. I pulled my hair up and walked out.
I showered and put on my white long fitted t-shirt and white, almost knee high, tube socks. I grabbed my wallet and my cell and locked the apartment, then waited at Rakim's door. He came out a minute later, dresses up in grey sweats and tee combo. He was wearing that black snapback that suits him so well.

"Ready." He said and spun around once. I chuckled and playfully pushed him to the elevator.

"Come on."

We went down to the boardwalk, where we each grabbed a creamed cheese bagel and a donut, along with some coffee. We talked about last night and he told me more about how he met Tyler and the rest of his crew and I listened. I love listening to him talk, he stood out, there was something about him that made people stare, observe him. He has this energy, he's very charismatic. When we finished, he walked with me to the café.

"So this is where you work, looks nice. I'll come by later, you gonna be here?" He asked when we stopped at the entrance.

"Yep, I'll be here until 4:30. Come by, get that donut." I jokingly poked him. He smiled and pulled me into a quick hug.

"Alright now. Have a good day, see you later." He said and waved as he was walking off. I smiled to myself and went inside. I saw Georgia already giving me that look.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing, I didn't say anything." She was playing. I just grinned and joined her behind the counter. I knew the question was coming and I wasn't wrong.
"Who was that cute chocolate-skinned god that just hugged you?"

"Auntie! Jesus." I said to her.

"I'd praise him but I'm pretty sure he wasn't Jesus." She chuckled. "I'm just kidding honey."

"God... that's my neighbor Rakim." I explained. "He's just a friend." I said before she opened her mouth again.

"Alright, that's fine." She replied.
I chuckled and put my name tag on.

Rakim is just a friend. Friends make friends feel this nice and comfortable in their presence and company. Don't they?