• twenty one •

Blue eyes crystal clear, I know I'm fucking dying for you.
• • •
"How long are we staying?" I asked Rakim. I was packing my small suitcase and since it was late August, I could actually pack light.

"Just a couple of days, you don't have to bring a lot." He was browsing through his cell, comfortably lying on my bed. He had already packed.

"Alright. So does your family know I'm coming along?"

"Mhm, I called my gran last night, she was thrilled." He chuckled. "She never thought I'd meet the one; said I was too demanding."

"Hmm, you are though, I mean have you seen me?" I joked and twirled around. He pulled me by the hand and I landed on my back right next to him.

"God, I hope they like me." I said. He gave me a peck on the lips.

"Love. They'll love you." He replied. I just smiled and covered my face with my palms.

"Hope you're right."

🦋

I haven't been on a plane for a while so if you ask me, it took us forever to get to New York. We took a cab to his grandma's place, which was in a neighbourhood pretty similar to the one we live in, back in LA. We took our luggage and went upstairs. I was pretty nervous, meeting the family has always been something I wouldn't want to spoil.

"Oh my gosh!" I exhaled air when he knocked on the door.

"Chill, they gonna love you." He reassured one last time. The door finally opened and I saw a little girl, standing there, smiling at us. Based on my experience, I would say she was about seven or eight.

"Tani!" He dropped his bag and lifted her up, stretching his arms. She then hugged him and I took his bag and followed him inside, even though he said to leave it and that he'll get it in a sec.

"Rocky, who's this?" She shyly asked, pointing at me.

"This is my girlfriend Di." He said.

"What kind of name is that?" She chuckled, putting her small palm over her mouth.

"Tani." He said to her.

"It's okay. It's a pretty weird name, yeah." I chuckled. "Nice to meet you Tani."

She waved at me, then two women came to the room; his mom and his grandmother.

"Hi baby!" They greeted him. "Oh, is this your girlfriend?" His mom asked.

"Yes, her name is Di." Tani said and smiled.

"Oh, is it now, hi there sweetie." His mom stuck his hand out. I shook it. "I'm Janelle, very nice to meet you." She smiled.

"You as well, I'm Di. Thank you for having me." I said, then grandma came closer.

"Hi, you must be Rakim's grandmother, very nice to meet you."

"Let me look at you." She stepped up to me, observing every detail, it was a little weird but I let it slide. "You are darn pretty, I'll tell you that." She finally smiled.

"Well thank you! And thanks for having me." I showed my appreciation again.

"Oh no problem baby, come on in, you want some ice tea?" She offered.

"I would love some, thanks." I followed them all to the living room. The apartment was very nice, simple decor but it was cozy, it felt like home and I wasn't expecting any less from them; it shows how he was raised. They were all very kind and Tani kept asking me stuff about myself, it was the cutest interrogation ever. She also asked me what my intentions with her big brother are. You can imagine how sweet that was.

Then we had dinner together and after that, Rakim wanted to show me his number one spot and took me out for a drink. I wore that white dress I bought a while ago and we went out to one of the bars. It was pretty classy, a nice cube-like counter in the middle and a very cozy atmosphere and romantic lighting all around. We took a seat at one of the tables and ordered drinks.

"Your family is awesome, thanks so much for bringing me along." I said.

"See, told you they'll like you." He winked.

"Yeah yeah, you were right. So Tani, I didn't know she's that young."

"Yeah, she's my half sister, my father died 13 years ago." He explained. "Mom was married to Tani's father but he bailed on them a while back; he ain't in the picture anymore."

"Oh my god, that's terrible; I'm so sorry."

"Yeah, it was pretty bad but we got through it. She and Tani moved in with gran about three years ago, she couldn't be left alone while mom was working, so..."

"You have a terrific family, you're lucky." I said. Me and my parents were never this close.

"I love them with all my heart." He replied. "I send money, try to help as much as I can; I even considered moving back here; but I started a life in LA and I know mom wouldn't let me; she always says I sacrificed too much for them already."

"I know what you mean; I wish my parents and I were this close, but in some way I don't see how it would help me now; besides I have aunt Georgia, I always was closer with her."

"Yeah, your auntie is hella cool." He chuckled. "You know I love me some good sense of humor."

"That she is - funny. So, this is a nice place." I continued. "I bet you know where to get a big slice of pizza?" I smiled widely.

"I do." He said, taking my hand. "Thanks for coming with me, wouldn't feel the same without you."

"Not a problem, thank you; for taking me and all; I loved meeting everyone, means a lot to me." I replied.

"It's all good baby." He said. "So, you want food... how about I call some of my homies and we get you the best pizza in the city?"

"Oh yeah, I'm down."

"Alright; Me and my buddies used to hang out at this italian place, one of my friend's family; they own it." He told me.

"Cool, I'd love to meet them all." I said and he smiled. He's been all smiles since we got to NY. We finished our drinks and when we were about to leave, a woman grabbed Rakim's arm and stopped him. We turned around and his face looked like he's seen someone he didn't want to see.

"Well look who it is; how long has it been?" She said.

"Keisha?" He was pretty much speechless after he said her name.

"Who's this?" I smiled and looked at her, then back at him. He froze up.

But I summed it up; she must be the reason he didn't believe in love, back when I met him.