• twenty four •

I feel the darkness when I'm away from you.
• • •
6 months later
"Here, this is the last of it." I set down the last box. It's been a tough week, moving is always so stressful, even if it is with someone you love. I've been carrying my stuff back and forth for days, trying to move as much as I could. Rakim smiled and opened the box, taking out my little red lamp and took it to the bedroom.
I followed him.

"This belongs here, huh?" He turned it on after plugging it in. "Cool?"

"Very." I smiled back. He asked me to move in with him a week ago, it was the cutest moment of my life.

"Fortune cookie time, open." I said to him. He cracked it in half and read out loud.

"Love is like the wind; you can't see it but you can feel it. There we go!"

"You finally got your cheesy romantic quote." I chuckled.

"Your turn." He said, nodding.

"Alright." I cracked it open and read. "Move in with me?" I read it again, confused, then moved my gaze up to him. He was just looking at me, smiling.
"Wait, what?"

"The note says it all. Would you like to?"

"You did this?" He nodded. "Oh, fuck... this is unexpected... you mean it? For real?"

"Yeah, for real real."

"Oh my god, Rakim... I, uhm... I don't know what to say." I was pretty surprised. We haven't really discussed it before, at least not seriously.

"You can think about it if you want to, no pressure. I just... we're spending so much time together at my place and you're basically throwing away your rent money so... I thought, why the hell not." He said.

"Wow. You do have a point." I replied. "You know what... let's give it a shot." I widely smiled and pulled him into a hug.

"There, we're all done. You are officially a part of casa de Mayers." He smiled and winked at me. I was looking at him before jumping on him, both of us crashing on his bed, me on top.

"Mmm, you being a boss already?" He joked as I was undoing his pants.

"You bet." I kissed him.
What can I say; I kinda liked living alone, but with him by my side it was so much better.

🦋

I spoke to the owner of my apartment, settled everything regarding the rent; I didn't renew my contract and he was a little sad, he liked how I was taking care of the place. At the same time he was happy for me and Rakim and wished me everything best, hoping that the next tenant will be at least a tiny bit like me. Days were passing by and living with Rakim came so naturally. We had breakfast together every morning, he bought me the extra closet for my stuff and framed a few pictures of us and our friends; they were on every nightstand and table. He made me dinner when I came home after work or he would come pick me up and take me some place to eat, have a drink and relax.

Aunt Georgia was thrilled and I even spoke to my parents, told them about Rakim and sent a few pictures. They were looking forward to meeting him and I finally figured it out.
Life tests us in the most horrible ways possible; some people suffer from a broken heart, others from breaking someone's heart. Some people think love comes in the form of expensive things, other feel differently. I was once in love and I thought it would last forever; but it didn't. It broke my heart, shattered me and almost killed my soul; I lost hope.
When I met Rakim, I didn't even think for a second, that he might be the one for me. I got to know him and I liked what I saw. Despite all his struggles and troubles, he didn't lose hope, he saw something in me and just like that, we fell for each other; both friends with darkness, still seeing something bright in each other, something worthy of trying out.

And now here I am; and sometimes things will get rough, times will be tough and our love might fade away one day. What I learned is that living for today and for tomorrow is the best way to do it; you never know what the universe has in store for you, which is why it's important to make it count.
And we were. We would try our best and not give up.
He taught me how to dream, I taught him how to love, we have it all. We're making it count.