The Base

Your Point Of View

I gasped as someone pulled me to the ground.
"Take cover!" Newt yelled from beside me.
"What's going on?" I asked.
A gunshot rang out.
"Never mind..." I whispered.
He shuffled closer to me, putting an arm around me. We waited patiently before the gunshots stopped.
"Is everyone okay out there?" I heard Thomas shout.
"We're fine!" Teresa called back.
"Does anyone know where those bloody shots came from?" Newt asked.
The gunshots rang out again.
"Everybody!" Jorge shouted, minutes later, "Get set to sprint back to the truck! And cover your ears!"
Me, Newt and Minho exchanged confused looks, but I shrugged and obliged, standing up a bit taller. Newt removed his arm from around my shoulder and slid his hand into mine, nodding to indicate he was ready.
"Drop it" a stranger's voice filled my ears, "I said drop it"
I crouched back down, nervously and Newt pulled me into his arms.
"On your feet" the stranger continued, "Let's go... Let's go! Move! Back up!"
"Easy" Jorge sighed, holding his hands up in surrender.
When the stranger's friend spotted us, we did the same.
"You three, over here now" she said to Newt, Minho and I, "Don't be stupid, move!"
We slowly walked towards them, my hands trembling in fear.
"And you four" she pointed the gun at the others, "Aris?"
We all looked at Aris, who looked confused. The stranger pulled her scarf from her face.
"Oh my god, Harriet?" he gaped, stepping towards her.
She hurried to him, "My God. What the heck are you doing here"
They embraced and the other girl hugged him afterwards.
"Sonya!" Aris grinned.
"Aris, you're lucky we didn't shoot you!" she commented, jokingly.
Minho and Newt exchanged a look.
"How...?" Aris stammered.
"Uh... What's happening?" Minho inquired.
"We were in the maze together"
Harriet whistled, "We're clear guys, come on out!"
"Copy that!" a man yelled in response, "We're clear, stand down!"

Newt rubbed his thumb over my knuckles comfortingly as we drove to the place Sonya called 'Base'. The trucks stopped and we climbed out, staring at the sight before us. Half a dozen large tents were set up and clothes were hung up on a line. People chattered away happily, while setting about doing their work. We followed Harriet and Sonya down the hill as they spoke.
"You're lucky you guys found us when you did" Sonya said, "We're moving out at first light.... Where's Vince?"
"Who's Vince" Tommy asked.
"He's the one who decides if you get to stay" Harriet tells him.
"Sounds like a shank to me" I muttered, causing Newt to smirk.
"I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army?" Tom continued, curiously.
"Yeah, we were" a man, Vince I guessed, said, emerging from a tent and studying us, "This is all that's left of us. A lot of good people died getting us this far... Who are they?"
"They're immunes" Harriet told him, "Caught them coming up the mountain."
"Did you check them?" he asked.
"I know this guy, Aris" she answered, pointing at Aris, "I trust him."
"Well I don't..." he scoffed, "Check them!"
"Hey boss" another random guy said.
Then Brenda collapsed, gasping and wheezing. I crouched down beside her, as did Jorge and Thomas, and tried to help her.
"Brenda?" Jorge pleaded, "Talk to me"
"I'm sorry" she wheezed, "I'm sorry"
"Why?" I asked, "What's going on?"
"Yeah, what's going on with her?" Vince queried, hitting my arm to get my attention.
"I don't know, Brenda are you all right?" Jorge questioned.
"What the..." Vince said, pulling down her sock, "Oh no!"
He jumped away from her like a Glader might jump from a Griever. I looked over at him and that's when I spotted it. A huge bite on her leg. And it was infected