31 •Challenging Encounters•

A/N: Hello guys. I hope you are liking my story so far and thanks for following it closely until the beginning. I try my best to update 2-3 chapters at once whenever I am free. I worked very hard on this one and I promoted this story like crazy in my social media accounts. I even messaged random kpoppers to give my story a read. If you are one of them, I am very grateful to you.

•Donghae's P.O.V

"YOU DON'T REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID, DO YOU?"

What did I do this time?

I closed my ears with the palm of my hands as Ryeowook kept screaming about an unnecessary memory from my college days.

"YOU STOLE THE GIRL YESUNG HYUNG LIKED!" Heechul hyung practically yelled like a crazy person.

"THAT'S RIGHT! HYUNG YOU STARTED EVERYTHING FIRST!" Ryeowook joined in with the chaos.

For God's sake, let me talk? I have my explanations.

"GUYS! GIVE ME A BREAK, OKAY? STOP SCREAMING AISH!" I exploded with anger.

Park Saeha. That sweet natured girl in the eyes of everyone but a living devil in my eyes.

Flashback

"Lee Donghae, I like you."

A gush of wind blew past our distant figures.

"I don't feel the same. Goodbye." I turned on my heels and walked away. I was always this straightforward.

And that was when she grabbed my wrist and pulled me into a kiss. This was my freaking first kiss and even that with someone I did not even like. I slowly gained the courage as I pushed her away.

"What are you doing?!" I hissed at her with venom. She gave me her signature sweet smile in return.

"Aren't you Yesung hyung's girlfriend?"

"Uh, that guy is so annoying. I was never interested in him at the first place." She said, her true self slowly getting out of its closet. " I pretended to be close to him just so I could get to know you."

"Guess what?" I chuckled darkly. "People like you who take advantage of other people for their own benefit are a complete trash. Let's just pretend we never met."

I was so mad that day. I hated fake people like her so much. I feel sorry for Yesung hyung who loved her with all his heart.

The following next day, I never saw Park Saeha again. Yesung hyung had taken a temporary absence from the college. He returned after a week or so, but in the span of such a short time, he seemed like a new person. What happened to him and Saeha, I badly wanted to know. Even Siwon would occasionally give me the cold shoulder.

"Siwon-ah, what happened to Yesung hyung? He seems really gloomy these days." I said, as Siwon and I walked home from college that day.

"Well, Saeha and him broke up. She went back to her homeland, UK." he said, bluntly.

Well, I was not surprised. I am glad Yesung hyung is no longer dating a fakie like her.

Besides her going back to the UK, who knew the main reason for them splitting was because of me? And the fact that Yesung hyung witnessed her little stunt on me from that day and hated me all this time? No wonder his attitude towards me changed when we graduated. I wanted to tell Siwon about her real intentions of dating Yesung hyung but I never brought up that subject. What is the use of wasting my time to talk about a trash like her anyways? 

End of Flashback

"So yeah, this was what happened! I swear I never had any intentions of being with her." I told Ryeowook and Heechul hyung about that small incident with Park Saeha.

"Why didn't you tell Yesung about all this before, pabo hyung?" Ryeowook said biting his lips in frustration.

"Yah! I was embarrassed and did not want to hurt Yesung hyung like that. Plus, I was scared that he might not believe me and stop talking to me if I ever told him the truth." I massaged my temples in worry.

"Guess what, you pabo dongsaeng!" Heechul hyung flicked my forehead. "He witnessed the main part of the incident, making you look like the bad guy."

Oh, damn it! I am screwed big time. No wonder he hated me all this time. I ran through the different rooms of our hideout frantically searching for Yesung hyung.

"Damn it!" I cursed under my breath. "If only I told him that time.. maybe this misunderstanding would not go this far."

I barged in the steel door to the rooftop where Siwon and Yesung hyung sat amongst themselves, a lonely atmosphere surrounding their moods.

"Yesung hyung," I said panting heavily. "We need to talk."

"I have nothing to say to you." He said, not once looking back.

"If I were in your position, I would do the same. I won't try to explain myself because no matter what I say right now, it would sound like a very pitiful excuse." I said as I pursed my lips, guilt overpowering my tone. I don't want to hurt Yesung hyung like that by exposing Saeha.

"But I can confess one thing for sure, I did not have any kind of feelings for Saeha back then. The thing you saw," I paused as I took a deep breath. "We were just caught up in the moment and I apologize for it." I lied.

Yesung hyung stood up and walked towards the staircase. "You do not have to be sorry. My contract with Super Junior ends in a month." He chuckled. "I might not renew my contract because a sensitive guy like me cannot survive in such a world."

Siwon stood there disbelieved. He ran towards Yesung hyung's direction. "No, hyung! You cannot leave me alone here, in this damn Mafia crib!"

He smiled, a genuine one. "Siwon, it has been a long journey with you. From the very next month, lets just pretend we never met." I could see his cheeks glistening with tears.

I looked down, facing the ground as I clenched my fists. I knew what they meant. In fact, Yesung hyung is doing the right thing now because we grew up together in this filth. We know how messed up this Mafia World was. However, not renewing the contract took a lot of sacrifice. He has to give up all of his riches and estates he has earned through the help of SM which meant, he would be left with his only restaurant as his source of income. Sungmin and Zhoumi did the same. Now, Sungmin is married to the women he loves and is apparently a grocery shop owner with zero records of his past. 

"Lee Donghae, to be honest, now that I have served my revenge, I feel a lot better but I am warning you. I won't stop you from chasing Henry since it is useless because you are their main puppet but you cannot do this for long. Remember, no matter what, he is still OUR brother." Yesung hyung said. "We grew up together.. and it is really pitiful that we are ending eachother like this but I understand. If I was in your situation as the favourite toy of SM, I wouldn't think twice to end him."

Suddenly Y/N's words rang in my head.

"Please.. Save Henry."

"What if I want to go against all the odds?" I smirked as the evening sun rays cast a dark shadow on my face.

Siwon looked at me as if I have lost my mind. Yesung hyung stared at me in disbelieve.

"Lee Donghae, just do what you are told to do." Siwon said in submission. "If we are meant to lose one of us, it is enough damage. No matter how much I dislike your ways, I don't want to lose you to them. Don't go against SM."

"He is right." Yesung hyung said. "If you want to repent for your actions later, leave as soon as your contract is over and live a simple life. Pray to God for the souls you have done injustice to. Maybe that's how it would work for everyone of us."

So, this was a situation of live like a coward or die like a hero and no way I was going to buy that.