24. Jodie

"Man sit down."

My niece stood there just looking at me. I hadn't saw her in about two years due to my sister's doings, she didn't come to hardly any family shit and was always on the move. Only really saw and heard from her when she needed me. And she needed me, she was looking for her no good ass nigga and baby father who apparently had dipped when they got into a real bad argument and she knew he was this way. She was determined to find his ass and as she went searching she dropped Nina off on my doorstep. I ain't know what the fuck to do with her. She was four years old, hyper active and mean as hell.

"I don't even know you," she stated with attitude as she crossed her arms. "I'm your Uncle Jodie like I told you before, now sit down please."

"No!" She easily replied with her eyes on me. I brought my eyebrows in, "what you say?"

"I said no!" She easily repeated as she yelled.

"Aye! Who the hell you think you yelling at?" I questioned loudly.

"Who the hell you think you yelling at?" She questioned back.

"Watch your mouth!" I pointed at her, quickly realizing I clearly didn't need to be cussing out her bad ass.

"You watch your mouth," she spat.

I couldn't believe this shit, the door started to unlock as slight relief came over me. I wouldn't have to deal with her by myself. Chris walked in as he did a double take looking at the little girl standing in the living room with her arms crossed like she was grown.

He smiled. "Hey pretty!"

She dropped her arms, attitude gone as she spoke, "hi!" Sounding like she was the sweetest child in the world, meanwhile she was giving me hell.

"What's your name?" He asked as he took a seat on the couch.

"Nina, Nina Forest."

"That's a pretty name," Chris smiled as I tried to figure out when he became the child whisperer.

"What's your name?" She asked as she finally did what I asked and sat the hell down.

"I'm Chris, Jodie's roommate."

She put her hand to the side of her face as if she was about to tell him a secret. She tried to whisper and failed at doing it "I don't really like him."

Chris laughed as I responded. "I don't really like your little ass either." I lowkey was in my feelings about the shit. "Horrible ass whisperer," I mumbled.

She turned and looked at me. "I wanted you to hear me, stupid."

I couldn't take no more of this little girl, "Chris she all yours," I stated as I made my way back towards my room quickly pulling out my phone to text my sister.

He laughed as he stood up, "wait! Let me tell you bout this shit with Casey."

I stopped in my tracks, turning to face him. "Oh yeah. Y'all had dinner and shit. How it go?"

"Man," he started "a damn mess to start with. Her folks were coming at me like I been knew about Carson."

"What?" I asked with confusion. "She must have told them you did."

He gave me a look like 'exactly,' "at the end of the dinner me and her did talk and that's exactly what she did. Talking bout she couldn't tell her parents she didn't know who the father was. So throw me under the bus like I been a deadbeat? And she gon ask me to go along with it. I already ain't feeling her pops that shit not going down. I'm not playing along with shit. Next time he say some slick shit I'm going to out her ass."