28. Mink

"I told him no," Aria let out as she sat across from me on her couch. She sighed before continuing. "I love Landon, but we've through a lot and I feel like I just need time for myself before I can even think about possibly dealing with him again, it's just too soon. I honestly don't want to be with anyone right now. Quay is cool but I'm not trying to go down that road with him either. I just need some time to myself."

I nodded in understanding. "Girl I feel it, it's nothing like falling in love with yourself. Take your time! Do what makes you happy. You are not obligated to be with either one of them so I get it. What did Landon say when you said no?" I questioned.

"He just nodded, said he understood. He didn't make it weird or anything because we had this conversation while eating our food. Told him I just needed some time to myself."

I nodded in understanding as I smiled, "well good for you!" She rolled her eyes, "enough about me and my nonexistent love life. What's been up with you and Jodie? How did it go when he met your family at your graduation party? Especially your brother."

I got wide eyed as I laughed thinking about it, "girl, first off you know Jodie big as fuck and Marion is not. But Marion still tried to put the fear of God in that man behind me, Jodie respected it and it was what it was. The rest of my family liked him. My momma did the most though." I let out with a roll of my eyes.

Aria laughed, "what she do?"

"Girl, gassed him the fuck out. 'Ooo, Jodie. You handsome as ever, this beautiful brown skin and these long dreads, your daddy look like you?' Just being embarrassing." I responded with a smile, "Jodie ate that shit up was at her beck and call for any little thing she asked for." Aria laughed, "that's Shawna for you!"

"It damn sure is." I let out. "I met some of his family a few days ago though." This piqued Aria's interest, "ooo, do tell. How did that go?"

I gave a closed mouth smile, "a little awkward. So I met his niece's mom she was straight, didn't really give too much conversation or try and I was fine with that. But his mama didn't really seem to be a fan of me."

"What!?" Aria asked with surprise. "I've never met a parent who didn't like you, shit or a person outside of Kira and when Jodie was suppressing his feelings."

"Right! I feel like I'm a pretty bomb ass person." I let out. "But," I rolled my eyes as I continued, "Kira has a lot to do with it. I never really asked him too much about him and Kira's history, I knew it went back but that shit go back. His momma love her, so when he introduced me she looked me up and down and said 'cute but what happened with Kira?' Bitch I could've died." I laughed. Aria's mouth was wide open with surprise as well, "you lying."

"Girl I wish! He was like we ended a few months, this is my girl now. She looked over at me again, 'and your name is Mickey?' She asked. Aria this bitch was trying to be funny." Aria busted out laughing and I couldn't be mad at it, cause it made me laugh too when I thought about it now. "Mink, I'm sorry." Aria let out as she continued laughing.

I waved her off with a smile as I continued, "I said no, it's Mink. She said 'Mink, like the animal? Like the fur? I hope that's just a nickname.' I wanted to roll my eyes so hard, Jodie quickly jumped in telling her to chill out but I cut him off as I responded and let her no that it wasn't. 'It's my birth given name,' I said, 'Minks are valuable, and one of the most valuable and luxurious furs there is around the world. And my mother knew the moment she laid eyes on me I would be a precious and rare gift just like mink. She could have named me Diamond, or Ruby but I was beyond those names. She caught hell for naming me it and I catch hell plenty for it being my name. But one thing is for sure. People never forget it."