Rose ~ Chapter 12

I laid staring at the ceiling for hours I couldn't sleep. I hated arguing with Beth, especially when it was my fault. I wanted to talk it through with her but I knew she needed to sleep. It was past midnight and the apartment was silent. Putting my hoodie on I got out of bed and went back outside on the balcony. The city of LA was still alive as lights flashed everywhere. It reminded me of when I was younger and my mum and dad were still together. When I was 5 we moved out here but it wasn't long till my mum had an affair on a business trip. After that everything changed; even she changed.

My mum took me with her to London and my dad moved nearby so he could still see me and my brother. I was heartbroken when he said he was moving back out here for work. I was angry with my mum for not letting me go with him and I suppose I never forgave her.

I sat out on the balcony for 10 more minutes when I heard a noise come from the kitchen. It was Sofia getting a drink of water. She spotted me outside and made her way over to me. "You ok hun?" She came and sat opposite me.

"Yeh...well no I couldn't sleep" I replied truthfully.

"Something on your mind?" She asked politely with a caring expression.

"Yeh something like that" I paused "me and Beth had a bit of an argument" I sighed.

"Well if you need someone to talk to I'm here, I couldn't sleep either your dad was snoring" I laughed knowing how loud his snoring could get.

"I really like Beth but I can't put football on hold for her. As harsh as it sounds I've wanted to play football all my life but our relationship wouldn't work if I pursued my dream" I spoke truthfully.

"Why can't you do both, I'm not really sure how the whole football thing works so your gonna have to explain" she smiled.

"Basically, if I have a good season this year I could get a scholarship to play over here in America which I would love as I would be near dad, but Beth has other plans when she finishes college as she finishes a year earlier than me and she wouldn't want to come with me over here" Sofia listened trying to take it all in.

"Have you spoken to her about it?" she asked.

"No- I mentioned the scholarship earlier by accident and she got annoyed and that's why we argued" I looked up at Sofia with a sad expression.

"I think you need to have a long conversation about it somewhen, your dad mentioned that she had family over here?"

"Yeh her mum lives here" I answered.

"Then she might even want to move here anyway, don't forget all this is not happening in the next week you still have a year, your plans may have changed by the time it comes around" she wisely stated. I was glad she put some sense into me. I was overthinking the whole situation.

"Yeh, I guess" I sighed "Thanks" she smiled and gave me a hug.

"Go get some sleep you have a big day tomorrow she smiled, actually it's 1 am so technically it's your birthday today" she laughed "happy birthday"

I smiled "Thanks I guess" we both went into our rooms.

I crawled back under the covers and saw that Beth had moved. I felt two arms wrap around my waist. "Where did you go?" Beth croaked barely awake.

"I couldn't sleep so got some fresh air" I kissed her forehead "go back to sleep"

"Mmm I'm sorry" she snuggled her head on my chest and almost instantly fell asleep.

"Me too" I whispered.

————————————————————————

The morning arrived too quick as my dad insisted on opening all the blinds to let the light come in. "Oi birthday girl rise and shine" my dad shouted as he left our room. The sun was blinding. I felt Beth sit up so I pulled the covers over my head. Beth laughed and pulled them back off and pressed a light kiss on my lips.