I missed you

I stepped off the plane and was immediately hit by the warm weather. It didn't feel right as I was so used to a cold Christmas. I hadn't told Sam that I got on the flight so my dad offered to pick me up from the airport. I was feeling a little better after my talk with Amber but there was still plenty that I needed to sort out and change. I got my dad to drop off outside Sams apartment so here I was struggling to knock.

I wasn't sure what to say to Sam when I saw her and I could feel my hands shaking as I knocked them against the door. It took a while for an answer but the door slowly opened with Sam standing on the other side with her back to me, shouting at someone in the apartment. I held a bunch of flowers in front of me and waited for her to turn around.

"Sorry I-" Sam turned around and stopped when she saw me. Her jaw dropped as she froze to the spot.

"Surprise" I gave an awkward shy smile but was soon greeted with two arms around my body. The flowers were now on the floor as i reciprocated the hug and pulled her in close not wanting to let go. Her familiar scent filled my nose and sent shivers of relief through my body. This woman would be the end of me.

"You came" Sam whispered into my neck still holding me like she was scared I would run away. "I thought I had lost you"

"I lost myself" I sniffed briefly pulling away finding tears running down my cheeks. I hadn't even made it into the apartment and I was already a mess.

"Hey shhh it's ok, we're ok" Sam soothed into my hair. She pulled away letting go of me and picked up the flowers from the floor.

"Oh yeh they're for you" I stifled a small smile and was returned by a small peck on the lips.

"They're beautiful just like you" She smiled and laced her fingers with mine pulling me into her apartment. Sam shouted something to Jazz and pulled me into her room shutting the door. "Please don't shut me out this time" she sighed sitting next to me on the bed.

"I won't" I whispered leaning my head on her shoulder. "But I just want to be with you for a bit before we talk" Sam nodded and adjusted her position so we were both led on her bed with my head resting on her chest. Just a simple touch made me feel like home. All of my problems washed away when I was with her.

"I got called up to the England woman's squad" I heard Sam say quietly. I turned to her and smiled.

"Me too" I whispered and I received a gentle kiss on my forehead. I slowly sat up and mentally prepared myself for the needed talk.

We sat talking through everything for hours. Many tears were shared but I felt it made our relationship stronger and it was much needed for us to move on.

"Amber told me about the whole eating problem argument" Sam sighed. I avoided Sams gaze.

"She was just overreacting" I returned quickly.

"Look rose I know that's not true as I noticed it myself" Sam remained calm.

I sighed I knew she was right, I just didn't want to admit it because it was embarrassing and something that I had kept to myself for years. Sam turned my head towards her so my gaze reached hers.

"Look I may not understand why you don't like to eat but I'm here to listen and help you get through it you just have to promise me to not shut me out" Sam lightly pressed a kiss against my lips and I slowly nodded. "Also the drinking needs to stop or at least be cut down, it's not doing your football any favours and if you want to keep playing you need to stop" I sighed and just looked at Sam, she was so full of concern and care towards me. She made me feel like I had worth. "Now get your cute little ass here because I've missed you so much and I-" she paused. "And I'm going to help you through this" she smiled.

Later on we found ourselves led on the sofa, my head rested on Sams lap as the rest of my body was covered by a duvet. Jazz was sat with her boyfriend opposite us and we were all watching some series on Netflix but I wasn't paying much attention. I was fixated on the brunette, she was special. I had never had anyone so caring towards me and I knew that our relationship would be challenging but I could see now that it would definitely be worth it.

I was so tired that my body shut down halfway through the film but I was soon woken up by Sam as she carried me into the bedroom and pulled the covers over me. I felt her lips on my forehead but it was the words she whispered that awoke me.

"I love you Rose Wells don't you ever forget that"

"I won't"