15

Anthony

It was my birthday and for the millionth time in a row we were on the road. We were in Philly taking on the Phillies before we would go to St. Louis then finally come home. I usually enjoyed the away games because I get to hang out with the boys, but not when I have a girlfriend and not when it's my birthday and I couldn't be with her. But there wasn't much I could do, I couldn't miss a game just because it was my birthday and I couldn't see Maliyah because she was back home.

So I reluctantly pull myself out of bed and go downstairs for breakfast. I sit down and order a omelet before Starlin Castro sits down next to me. He was one of my best friends on the team and I always appreciated him and his wisdom.

"What are you doing" I ask not really into the mood for whatever games he's playing.

"Woooow. Who shit in your fruit loops" he asks.

"Whoever made us have 6 away games through my birthday" I claim.

"Well there's no need to start your 24th birthday off like a sack of potatoes" he claims.

"I don't think that's how that saying goes" I insist.

"Not the point" he argues.

"What's the point then" I ask.

"The point is that you are a very blessed man. You have a good girlfriend, a lot of talent, a great heart and fans who would do anything for you. Yes it sucks that you can't be where you want, but I promise you're where you're supposed to be. A lot of guys would kill to be in your position" he insists.

"You're right" I sigh. "I just... I miss her. So much" I whine.

"Awww buddy, let it out" he says as he rubs my back.

"The one thing I want, more than anything, is for her to be healthy. And not because I feel bad for her or because sometimes she looks like she could die at any moment, but because she is the most amazing girl in the world, and she has to go through so much just to survive. She wants to live, she wants to fly and run and jump and spread her wings. But she can't, and the only thing I want from this life is to see her healthy again" I admit.

"That's deep" Starlin admits.

"Yeah. It's pretty deep out there" I admit.

"I didn't say that was a bad thing. I wish more people could feel the way you do. Hell, I wish I could feel the way you do" he claims and I smile.

"It's both a curse and a blessing" I admit.

"Well why don't you enjoy your birthday breakfast then head up to your room. The boys and I left a surprise for you in there" he says.

"Alright. Thanks for talking to me even though I was kind of an ass" I say.

"Kind of" he teases and I playfully punch him in the arm. "Alright alright, I get it" he laughs.

We enjoy a nice breakfast before heading back to our hotel rooms. I let myself in and see all the lights had been turned on.

"Hello" I ask a little cautious that the cleaning lady was in here and didn't want to be bothered.

"Hey you" someone says and I freeze. There is only one person who said that, and it's impossible for her to be here.

"Maliyah" I gasp as I look around.

"Try the window" the voice says and I turn back around.

I see Maliyah standing there in my jersey and a pair of jean shorts. She had a portable oxygen tank by her side and a blue headscarf on.

"How" I ask.

"You have some interesting teammates" she claims.

"Oh no, what did they do to you" I groan.

"They talked to my doctors, and once they got the okay they stuffed me on a plane and now I'm here. With a birthday present" she says as she holds up a bag.

"I don't even know what to say. Well I'm going to start with are you okay" I ask as I walk over to her. I softly caress her cheek to see if she had been crying or had bruises or anything.

"I'm great, actually. This is the first time I've left that hospital since I got there" she explains.

"How do you feel" I question.

"I feel fine. A little weak but nothing I can't handle" she insists.

"You want to sit down" I ask and she nods. I help her to the bed and we sit down. I wrap my arm around her as she smiles at me. "I can't believe you're really here" I admit. I haven't felt this happy since I left from Chicago.

"Me neither. I haven't been on a airplane since my team went to nationals" she claims.

"Well I'm happy you're here. Now I got what I wanted for my birthday" I smile.

She hands me my gift and I grab the card out of the bag.

"Don't read this until we get to the ballpark" she says.

"We" I ask.

"Yeah. I wouldn't come out here and not watch you play" she smirks.

"I love you so much" I assure her.

"I love you too baby" she promises.

I open my present and it was a matching headscarf to her Cubs one she was wearing. She helps me put it on me and we take a bunch of cute pictures of us matching before I take her to the field. I send her with some of the other families so I know she'll be safe before sneaking off to read my birthday card she was trying to keep from me. But when I open the envelope I see just a piece of paper. So I take it out and start to read.

"If for whatever reason I don't make it through this, I want you to know that you, Anthony Vincent Rizzo, are the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me. If all I get is 23 years on this earth, I want you to know that the few months I've had with you have been the best months of my entire life. Every second with you is the new best moment of my life and every night when I go to bed it's you I'm thanking god for. I'm going to fight for my life and I don't intend on leaving you any time soon. But if something was to happen to me and I can't be here to tell you...

I love you Anthony. For a while I forgot what it was like to just enjoy life. You bring me so much joy and happiness. I forget I'm sick when I'm with you. I feel like that young girl in college again, living life like I'm supposed to. I feel on top of the world when you're around, it's impossible to hurt when you're holding me. And even when it does hurt, I don't notice because I become so lost in your eyes and I don't know what to do with myself.

Falling in love was so easy with you, it never felt like falling. It felt like flying. Every time I dream about flying you're always there with me. You have a hold on me and I know you will never let me hit the ground. It's nice to have someone who means so much to me. I've had relationships before, but none of them compare to what you mean to me.

So happy birthday baby, I love you."

I smile big as I look up into the crowd. It was easy to find Maliyah with the headscarf she had on. She smiles once she finds me sitting in the dugout and I smile back. I am positive that I am the luckiest man alive.

The game comes and goes and we end up losing. But I still win because I have the best girlfriend in he whole world.

I grab her after the game and we go back to the hotel. She leaves early tomorrow for Chicago and we were going to St. Louis. But I was going to spend my whole night holding her in my arms. And that's just what I did.

We lay in bed as we just stare at each other. I adjust her oxygen so it doesn't fall off and she smiles at me.

"You're so pretty" I tell her and she rolls her eyes.

"You're so honorary" she counters.

"I'm so in love with you" I say and she laughs.