45

Maliyah

After finally finding a day where Anthony was off and had no baseball obligations I get to take him back to my soon to be alma mater. I was finishing up the rest of my classes right now and should have my degree in just 2 short months. Then my life would finally back on track.

And the first part of the plan to visit my old college that I called home for three and a half years was the best part. I find my old volleyball coach talking to some of the girls on the team in the main gym as they get ready for volleyball camp at the start of their young season. I asked him if it was okay that I come check it out and maybe get a few hits in. I've been training again for about two weeks now, only one of those in a actual school gym, and I've been getting better with my endurance and strength. I've already gained about five pounds of muscle and I could feel it. Slowly but surely I was getting back into old form and it was exciting. For a while I didn't know if I could get back into my old habits, but it's turning out to be easier than I thought. Plus it does help a little to have a boyfriend who is a professional athlete. It certainly doesn't hurt.

I walk over to my coach as he was giving his usual speech and tap him on the shoulder. He turns around and immediately lights up when he sees me. He pulls me into a long hug and the smile on my face was permanent. He always came and visited me in the hospital and made sure I was doing okay. He sent me get well soon card from the team and kept me updated on how they were doing. He was truly a wonderful soul and it was great to be in his presence again.

"My god you've grown, look at you" he smiles.

"I've been trying to get my train back on its tracks for half a month now. It's a process but we're still moving forward and that's what's important" I explain.

"Of course" he assures me.

"So Anthony, this is my old coach Daniel. He coached me all four years in college and he's a close family friend of mine. And Danny, this amazing man is my boyfriend Anthony. He's been helping me get back into the swing of things" I say.

"It's a pleasure to meet you" Anthony says as he shakes his hand.

"The pleasure is all mine. I'm a big fan" Danny claims.

Anthony and I introduce ourselves to the group of girls who were there waiting for their practice. Some of the ones who were seniors were there when I graduated so I knew a few of them pretty well, but the rest was all new.

They get started with some simple drills and I sit back and watch. Anthony has his arm around me as I watch the practice carefully. There's a lot of fundamentals to this game and that's how I set myself apart from everyone else. If you learn the correct fundamentals early then you don't have to think about them during a game. And I noticed that some of the girls are having troubles with their approaches which made me itch.

"Hey babe, are you okay" Anthony asks.

"Yeah, why do you ask" I wonder.

"Your leg is bouncing like crazy" he tells me and I look down. I see my left leg bouncing up and down like tigger and I quickly stop it.

"Sorry, volleyball habit" I admit. It always happens when I know there's something I can do to help but can't do it for whatever reason.

"We can leave if this is making you uncomfortable" he claims.

"No no, I'll be fine" I assure him. The practice continues along and I watch everyone continue to work out.

"Hey Mal" Danny calls. "Can you come help me with this drill?"

"It would be a honor" I admit. I walk over to where he was and look out to the girls sitting there waiting for instruction.

"I know she introduced herself earlier but now its coaches turn to introduce her. As you all know this is Maliyah Collins. If you just look around the campus you can find her name most anywhere. She's one of the most famous alumns we have and is the corner stone of the volleyball program.

Now I don't need to tell you how good she is, for you're about to see for yourselves. I don't want you guys to expect for this drill to look like this because Maliyah practically invented this one, but it's important to try to get a full workout. It's very challenging both mentally and physical and will require hours of practice. Don't expect to get it the first time and don't expect it to ever look like this. She's the only person I know who can do it" he explains. I knew exactly which drill he was taking about and I was honestly so excited.

"So you're not gonna let me warm up, we're just going straight to the sudden death drill" I ask and he smiles.

"Come on Beast, you can do this with your eyes closed" he claims.

He sets up a giant wooden block at a angle on the bottom right hand corner of the half court and one on a stand at the end of the net. There was another angled block right under the net on the other side of the half court. Danny hops on the other side before turning to the captive audience.

"This is how this is supposed to go. I will set the ball over to Maliyah and she will bump the ball to the low block on her side. It will come back up to her and she will set it to the high block setting herself up for a spike off the rebound. She'll spike the ball to the low block on the other side then block the rebound over the block to a empty space behind it" he explains. "You ready" he asks as he turns to me. I nod as I get ready for the drill.

He sets the ball to me and I easily bump it to the low block. It bounces into the air and I set it to the high block with enough force for it to get back to me. From there it quickly comes back to me and I spike it to the other side of the net. It bounces off the low block and comes right back to the net where I jump over the net and block the ball to the other side.

"Woah" someone says as the girls start to clap. Some of them impressed but most confused because I just did about 7 different drills in 3 seconds.

"Yeah sure, you need a warm up" Danny teases.

"Hey now, it's been a while. That was beginners luck" I insist.

"Or you're just crazy talented" he claims.

I help him teach the girls the drills and how to set up the blocks for different challenges. After a while they were done and I wanted to show Anthony the rest of campus. I wanted to show him my old dorm room and part of the quad that was burned down because of Jonathan and his antics.

We walk around hand in hand and I just talk his ear off. Anthony didn't go to college so this was all so new to him. He kept asking questions and I did my best to answer.

"Leah" someone questions in the middle of one of our conversations and I stop. Only one person called me that and it's honestly the last person I wanted to see right now.

I turn around and see Ryan standing there with a sad look on his face. I give him my best smile as I try not to make it too awkward.

"Hey Ry" I say.

"What are you doing here" he wonders.

"I was showing Anthony around and Danny promised to help me do some volleyball drills" I explain.

"So you're cured now" he wonders.

"In remission, yeah" I admit.

"You look great. I like your hair like that" he claims. I feel Anthony pull me into him and I can tell he didn't like where this is going.

"Thanks, that was very nice of you. But I think it's about time we get going. It's been a long day and Anthony has to get back in town for a game tomorrow" I explain and he nods.

"I get it. Well it was nice seeing you" he claims.

"You too" I reply. And on that note I grab Anthony and pull him away before he did something stupid.

"Why is he here" Anthony barks once he's sure Ryan is far enough away from us.

"It's his alma mater too" I remind him.

"What if he's stalking you" he questions.

"I'm not that pretty" I insist.

"You most certainly are" he claims and I just roll my eyes.

"Calm down and look at me. I love you and only you. And I will always only love you" I say as I hold his chin.

"You pinky promise" he asks.

"Pinky promise."