58

Maliyah

Today was the last home game of the 2014 baseball season. And that also meant that it was the last day of my short first season of working here with he team. Some of my family came into town to catch Anthony in action and hang out with us. Celebrate a great accomplishment that is another year of professional baseball and get ready for the rest of our lives form this moment on.

Those of who could make it come into the city for the day. We decide to meet at the apartment because we thought heading over to the game together would be a good idea but it's turning out not to be. It was so loud and there was so much going on I see why my parents wanted a mansion to raise us kids. This was intense.

"Where's Anthony" I ask my mom as we all try to fit into Anthony's apartment. I maneuver in and out of people but I couldn't seem to find him. He can hold his own but the last thing I needed was him getting pulled into one of my brothers shenanigans. I swear they don't actually get older, they just look older.

"Him and Dad went out for a walk a while ago and I guess they're not back yet" she shrugs and my eyes go big.

"You let my dad take my boyfriend on a walk? Do you remember what happened last time dad took one of my boyfriends on a walk" I ask.

"No" she admits.

"He came back crying" I say.

"Your Dad loves Anthony, he wouldn't make him cry" she insists.

"No but there's a lot of other things he can say while out on a walk with him that could make me want to cry" I admit.

"Oh sweetie, there's nothing your dad can tell him that would make him feel any different about you. Plus Anthony was the one who asked your dad for the walk anyway, so your dad had nothing he planned on telling him" she explains.

"Well that's odd. I wonder what they could be talking about" I question out loud.

"I don't know and I'm not sure I want to know either" she claims. She's not wrong.

So I continue to mingle with my family until my boyfriend returns. He wraps his arms around my waist and I smile when I smell his cologne. As sad as this sounds but I missed him in the short time he was gone.

"Well hello they're mystery man" I tease.

"What makes me a mystery" he questions.

"The fact that you and my dad disappeared for a while and didn't tell anyone where you were going or for how long" I explain.

"Were you scared that your dad was out there threatening to end me if I ever hurt you" he asks.

"A little bit, yeah" I admit.

"Well you have nothing to worry about. I just wanted a few words with him without having to yell over everyone. And a few words turned into a few more and we actually had a really good time, but I promise all good things" he assures me.

"Good" I smile. "Are you ready to head over to Wrigley?"

"All set" he nods.

We somehow fit everyone into two cars and get over to Wrigley. It was a beautiful day for the end of September, the weather was cool and the wind was blowing out. And to top it all off I was asked to throw out the first pitch for the game today.

There was a lot more people who knew who I was than initially thought. Being Anthony's girlfriend has its own type of publicity, but with being someone who beat cancer and now works for the Cubs and is training to play for the United States for volleyball, you get even more publicity. A lot of people like my story because it was a feel good one with a happy continuing, can't really say ending because nothing has ended yet. And if someone who was going through what I did and sees me and I can somehow inspire them, make them feel like they'll beat this thing too, then I don't mind the attention. It's okay when it's for the right reasons. And I thought it would be cool to throw out the first pitch. I had a brother who played baseball and he gave me some pointers. I had Anthony help but he's left handed and hasn't pitched since he was in high school. But I think I had it figured out and I was excited to show off my arm.

"Are you ready" my dad asks as he starts to rub my shoulders and I laugh. We were all down on the field before we would head to our spots in the stands. I was granted flexibility to be able to work from the field today and spend some time with my family which was nice.

"As ready as I'll ever be" I admit.

We sit there for a little while longer before I finally just had to ask.

"What did you and Anthony talk about earlier" I ask and he freezes.

"Nothing" he replies too quick to be believable.

"Daddy... don't lie to me" I warn.

"I can't tell you what all we talked about. Just know that you have a really great guy and that he loves you a lot" he insists.

"And why doesn't he just tell me this himself" I wonder.

"He will" he claims and I raise a eyebrow. 

"Is that a threat or a promise" I joke.

"It's nothing you need to worry your pretty little head about. Just enjoy life, throw a strike and don't embarrass me" he teases.

"I'll try my best" I insist.

Eventually it comes time for me to shine. I walk out to the mound and stand in front of it because who am I kidding? I hit volleyballs that are much bigger and bounce a lot farther than a baseball.

Anthony squats down behind the plate and hits his first in his glove like I'm going to throw a heater down the middle. I laugh as he gives me a smirk and I try to focus. I wind up and bring my leg up like my brother taught me. I throw it in the direction that I hoped it would go in and it gets sent sailing. Anthony easily catches it and I smile big, that wasn't so bad.

He hops up at home plate before he comes over and places the ball in my hand. He gives me a quick kiss and break apart before we cause a scene here at Wrigley.

"Good job baby" he says.

"Thanks. I think I have a real future in baseball" I tease.

"Volleyball, absolutely. Baseball.... ehhh" he jokes.

"Alright, I cant argue with that" I admit.