38

Anthony

Today was the day. The day that I've been waiting for since I left the Windy City seven weeks ago. I was on my way back to Chicago for the start of the 2014 season, but mostly to see my girlfriend. I have never wanted to be in a place more than I want to be back there right now.

"Is she going to be at the airport waiting for you" Starlin asks and I smile. He loved Maliyah like she was a part of the team, and she kinda was.

"She's already there" I laugh.

"I'm honestly surprised you lasted this long without seeing her. I thought for sure you we're going to pull the family emergency card and leave camp sooner" he admits.

"I thought about it daily, but if she was going to be strong for me that meant I needed to be strong for her too. She doesn't need me there to hold her hand. She's a grown woman who doesn't need me but loves the way she feels when I'm around. And nothing makes me feel better than her. I can't wait to just hold her hand" I insist.

"I can't wait for you stop complaining about how much you miss her" he teases.

"Wow, you're so kind" I shake my head.

"Oh come on. You know I love you and I love what you and Maliyah have done for each other. I'm simply stating that I'm not going to miss listening to you cry yourself to sleep" he smirks.

"I did not cry myself to sleep" I gasp. "Have you been telling people that" I question.

"Only everyone" he claims.

"Honestly can't wait to get home just to get away from you" I claim.

"Oh come on. You love me" he insists and I smile at him.

"I do."

After a while they announce that we will be landing soon at the O'Hare airport and I felt like I was going to jump out of my seat I was so excited. Finally I look out the window and see the city I loved just below me, the city where I fell in love and I couldn't help but be so happy in. Chicago was never a place I thought I would become so attached to, but I love this place so much.

As soon as the tires of the plane hit the ground I was unbuckling and gathering my things up. I jump over Starlin to get my carry on from over head. I jump to the front of the line and wait for them to announce that we were good to go.

Right as the stewardess opened that door I was gone. I was practically running through the tunnel into the main area. I wasn't worried about finding my stuff or making sure my team got off safely. I had my mind on one thing and one thing only.

"Hey you."

I sharply turn around and that's when I saw her. My beautiful angel standing there in that white dress that brought me to my knees. She had on a gold head wrap and was wearing that smile that lit up this place. She looked so good that it hurt and I couldn't wait to tell her that.

She suddenly runs over and jumps into my arms. I catch her and wraps her legs around my waist as I hold her tight. She wraps her arms around my neck as she quickly presses her lips to mine. It doesn't take even a moment for me to kiss her back. The feeling of her fingers running through my hair nearly make my legs give out. But I stand strong for I finally had the one thing I couldn't wait for anymore.

"Never leave me again" she whispers on my lips as our foreheads rest together. I hold her good to let her no that I'm never letting go.

"Never again" I promise and she smiles.

"You know you can put me down now" she giggles.

"I haven't been able to hold you for a month and a half. I'm never going to put you down" I insist and she giggles.

"People are looking at you weird" she claims.

"Quite frankly I don't give a fuck. But I would like to kiss you some more" I admit.

"That I can help with" she smirks. She leans down and pulls me into another kiss and it all comes back to me. The late nights in her room cuddling and watching TV. The early mornings in chemo just listening to music. It was all there with me again and I felt invincible.

Eventually I have to put her down and get my stuff so they don't put my things with the lost pile. I grab my suitcases and we load them up into her friend Julie's car. She so graciously takes us back to the hospital where I get a warm welcome. It felt great to be back where I'm so loved. It was good to see the kids again and meet a few new ones. I loved walking those halls and having all the memories hit me in the face. This place might not be a home, but it sure did feel like it.

Finally we get into Maliyahs room and I smile big. It looked a little different, she put up the yellow blinds i for her and it made the room look like there was a bunch of sunshine raining in. She had out her new sheets on her bed that was a bright like her smile and that made my heart smile too. I always knew she was that little girl who wanted nothing but the best for everyone, it was good she was getting back to that. I see her box of things that I got her and all the candy was gone. There wasn't much left to it which means it was used well.

"I know it's a little different than you remembered but I figured you would like the blinds and the bedding" she winks.

"It looks just as good as I thought it would, I love it" I smile.

"There's one more thing that's a little different than the last time you've been here" she admits.

"And what would that be" I wonder.

She takes off her headscarf and I let out a gasp. I see a bunch of short brown curls coming out of her hair and I was taken aback. I know she said she had hair like mine but we could actually be twins.

"How" I ask.

"The new chemo they have me on doesn't affect hair follicles so it started to grow back. I thought about shaving it because it was weird when it was so short. But now that it's a little longer I kinda like it" she claims.

"You look beautiful either way. But I love the hair" I admit as I run my fingers through it.

"Thanks. It almost feels like I'm finally beating this thing" she claims.

"You are. Looks around. Nothing is as strong as the love you have for life. Not even cancer" I insist.

"I love you too" she smiles and I laugh. She presses her lips to mine again and I take no time kissing her back.