33

Anthony

Before I had to leave for Arizona for nearly two months I was so graciously blessed to spend one of my last days here in Chicago celebrating Valentine's Day with Maliyah. I was spending every second I could with her before I reluctantly had to leave. And although a month and a half doesn't seem too bad on paper, I already miss her like crazy.

So this Valentine's Day I was going to do something special. For once she had no appointments or treatments or brother calling her so she can solve their girl problems. It was just her and me and whatever it is we decided to do for the day.

And after a lot of contemplation we decide to have a dinner date on top of the hospital just like the good old times. I was going to miss so much while I was gone, but being on top of this building looking out over the city with her was at the top of my list. Those moments play in my head so vividly. I use them as motivation.

So I pull on a black tux I've had tucked away for a while now. I add a red tie and nice dress shoes to make it worth while. I make sure my hair was extra curly because I knew how much she loved it and I spray on her favorite cologne. After I looked good enough I go up to the roof and wait for my date to get ready. Tamara was helping her get ready in a different room and I got yelled at by her for asking how long it would be until she got ready. I learned the hard way to never ask that question.

So I mess with the flowers I got as they sit on the table. They were a bunch of blue roses because I know blue was Maliyahs favorite color and roses were her favorite flower. I look out over the table and into the city as life passes me by. I really really didn't want to leave this palace. Pitchers and catchers reported yesterday and I had three days until I left. And while I was excited for a new season and couldn't wait to see the guys and start to work out again, I couldn't imagine leaving here. Leaving what I worked so hard to create here.

I wasn't worried about Maliyah being unfaithful, I know she would never cheat. And I wasn't worried that I would do anything to hurt this relationship. This was the best thing I could ever call mine. But I was concerned that things will change. A lot can happen in 7 weeks. That can make a world of a difference. I just didn't want to know she's sad or scared or lonely just because I'm not here where I belong. I want her to love me but I never wanted our love to hurt. But it does because of things out of our control. There isn't much we can do but I know we're going to make sure we can get through this together.

"Hey you" someone says softly and I smile. I knew exactly who that would be.

I turn around and I'm met with the prettiest sight you'll ever see. Maliyah stands there all dressed up and looking great. She had on a pretty navy blue dress which was perfect for this surprisingly shocking warm Chicago winter temperature. It was 67 with the wind chill and we had heaters going up here to keep us warm. She had on makeup with a Smokey eye and deep red lips. Her head covered with a blue and white head scarf.

She walks over to me and I meet her halfway

She walks over to me and I meet her halfway. I grab her hand before spinning her around so her dress flowed. She looked so incredible, just like always.

"Look at you, you look amazing" I admit.

"Thanks. This is actually Tamara's dress. It took us forever because she had to alter it a little so it didn't fall off. That's also why she was kinda pissy earlier and she wanted me to tell you that she's sorry for yelling. She just wanted to make sure everything was perfect for us" she explains.

"I don't care about all that. I would happily have had this meal with you up here if you were in your onesie" I admit and she giggles. "But I do very much like what I see though. You look stunning."

"Thanks" she blushes. "You're looking mighty fine too."

"Our dinner awaits" I say as I grab her hand. She squeezes me tight making my heart start to beat a little faster. I move over to the table and pull her seat out for her. I look down as she softly rubs her arms.

"Are you cold" I wonder.

"A little" she admits. She was literally always cold.

"Here. Take this" I say as I wrap my jacket around her shoulders. I sit down across from her and set my napkin in my lap.

We start our dinner and like always we share a lot of laughs. It's been almost a year we've been together but it feels like the first day. I still get butterflies when she laughs at my attempt to make her smile. My heart still skips when her hand holds mine. I can't even explain how I feel, not to her or even myself. She just drove me nuts.

"Have you ever thought about wearing wigs" I wonder.

"Yeah. I have. But I want everything I have to call it mine. If I have hair I want it to be my hair. I want to run my fingers through it without a care. I want to style it and flip it over my shoulder. I don't think I'll ever buy a wig" she admits.

"You know there's nothing wrong with getting a wig" I assure her.

"I know that, I think women who wear wigs are beautiful and empowered and strong. But it's just not me, you know. Just won't feel right" she claims.

"I get that. I don't know what would happen if I would have lost my hair. It's my best attribute" I insist.

"That's not true. Your smile is for sure" she claims.

"What's so good about my smile" I ask.

"It's so pure. You want to live life, you want to make people laugh. And you can tell by the way you smile. You're so special, but your smile is defiantly your best feature" she claims.

"I'm good with that" I admit.