46

Maliyah

It's been a good few weeks for me. It almost felt like I wasn't out of the real world for two years. I see my friends all the time and I'm finishing up my classes. I applied for jobs and have been training really hard. For what I'm not quite sure yet. But I would rather be ready and not have anything to do than to have something to do and not be ready.

So I continue on with my life the way I expect it to be. And each day I thank god because I get to do it all with the man I love the most. He cheers me on with everything I do and I couldn't imagine getting to where I am without his support. He always tells me he's my biggest fan and I cannot begin to explain how important it is to have that kind of person in your corner with you.

"MALiYaH" Anthony yells and I let out a groan. Last time he yelled my name like that this because he saw a spider and he was scared to get it so he made me kill it. 

But regardless of what I was thinking this could possibly be I get up from the piano and go into the living room. I nearly run into Anthony as he stops himself from running into me. Literally running.

"What is going on" I laugh as I thank the lord I didn't just get sent to the next apartment by bouncing off of him.

"You got a letter" he claims.

"Alright. I don't see how this is news" I claim.

"It's from the US women's national volleyball committee" he tells me and my eyes nearly pop out of my head.

"What? What do they want from me" I ask.

"I don't know. I opened it because I was going to read it but then I felt guilty and yelled out your name instead" he explains and I giggle.

"You're lucky you're cute" I insist as I take the envelope from his hand. I finish opening it up and pull out the paper.

"Ready it out loud" he begs and I nod my head. I let out a long sigh as I see what this mysterious letter was for.

"Dear Maliyah Collins,

On behalf of the US national volleyball team we would like to reach out to you in regards to a spot we have on our team for nationals in October. We have a full roster but room for alternates to be moved and spots on the competitive team. We are very hopeful that we can at least have you come be part of this team and help lead us to a national championship.

We are aware of your situation and we very much took it into consideration. We wanted to give you time since you left the hospital to decide if volleyball was still in your future and if we can have any part in it. In no way is this a letter telling you to come play for us, but we would be most gracious if you could. Even be a assistant coach if at all possible.

I know you still have a long way to go and your life is just starting all over again, but we would like to at least give you the opportunity to play for us like you planned on a few years before. You're a great girl with a incredible talent and the best heart, we would be honored just to have you be with us for the journey.

Below is a number to reach out to us. Please call when you know what is best for you, even if it is declining this offer. We hope to hear from you soon and best of luck with your endevours.

-Sincerely, The Members of the USA Woman's Volleyball Team."

"My god" Anthony whispers, he had he biggest smile on his face. "Sweetie this is amazing, what are you gonna do" he asks.

"I don't know. I'm not even close to being ready" I insist.

"You have over four months to prepare. Call them and let them know that you want to do it but you're still working your ass off to be that girl they remember and want on their team. They'll understand. Then when you're ready, and you will be, you can help the USA win a gold" he claims.

"And what if I'm scared" I ask.

"Scared of what" he questions.

"Scared that I'll never be that girl again. Scared that I'll look like her and sound like her but I'll never be her. Scared that I'm letting so many people down because they need her and I just can't be her. Scared that I went through all of this for nothing" I ramble.

"There is no way you can even do the simplest of things with that mind frame. You have to know that that girl is gone, you're never going to see that version of you again. But you can be bigger and better and smarter than ever. You can be like Jordan in his second go around with the Bulls. While things weren't exactly the same he was still just as incredible as people remembered. But he wasn't trying to be the old him, just be the best him.

And the girl they need right now, that girl is you. This you that's been through hell and back, but she came back stronger. She came back wiser. Look at you Mal, you're a survivor. You're a a fighter. No one can take that from you. And now you have a chance to prove to the world that cancer is no match for you. That cancer can't take from you what's always been yours. All you gotta do is go out and get it" he explains.

"Ugh... you're right" I mumble and he smirks.

"I'm what" he teases.

"Annoying" I say and he shakes his head.

"No no no, that's not what you said. What did you say" he asks.

"I said you're right" I sigh and he smiles extra big.

"Damn right I am. Now take your phone and call them" he says pushing it in my face.

"Right now" I gasp.

"Yes right now. Call" he demands.

I reluctantly call the number and it rings a few times. Eventually someone picks up and I feel a bunch of spit get stuck in my throat.

"Hello" they ask.

"Hi" I say softly. "This is Maliyah Collins" I explain.

"Oh my god. Seriously" the lady asks.

"Yeah. I just got this letter and it said to call this number. I'm not sure what happens next" I admit.

"Well that depends. Did you call to make us the happiest people in the world and accept our invitation" she asks.

"I think I did" I admit.

"In that case the next thing that happens is I say welcome to the team" she says and my heart skips a beat.

"I'm already on the team" I ask.

"Yes. In fact this is your team" she claims.

"I'm the captain" I question.

"You are. You have experience and talent and the best communication skills around. We've been wanting you since you were eligible but we understand that wasn't possible. But we sure are happy it is now" she claims

"Wow. This is insane" I admit.

"Well there's a while until the tournament. We'll practice together at the beginning of October here in New York and go from there" she says.

"That sounds great. Thank you" I whisper.

"No Ms. Collins, thank you."