18

Anthony

"Are you nervous" I ask Maliyah as she stands in the bathroom of her room. She was making sure her head scarf was on right and it fit good.

"A little. I've only met my boyfriends parents once before" she admits.

"Well don't sweat it. Even if my mom hated you for some stupid reason she couldn't tell over the fact that we have been dating for nearly half a year and I haven't introduced her to you yet" I explain.

"Why haven't you? I know your parents run the foundation, I figured they would be here a lot" she claims.

"They were, but the first time was literally the day that we met and I didn't want to be like "hey here's my parents" or anything like that. The second time they were here you were getting treatment and the third time was when we found out the leukemia had spread to your lungs" I explain.

"Well, fourth time's the charm" she smiles and I smirk back.

"See... this is why I love you" I say as I pull her into my side. I kiss the top of her head as she hugs me back.

"Let's go do this" she says as she lets out a long breath.

"Lets do it."

I grab her hand and give it a squeeze before taking her out into the hallway. We hop in the elevator and take it all the way down to the first floor. We exit and I see my parents there talking to some of the kids. They were just as into trying to save as many peoples lives as I was. In fact it was them who made the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation possible. I couldn't have done anything I have without them.

Back when I was sick they never left my side. They stayed at that hospital in Boston until I was released. That's also a moment where we realized how much help these families need. These treatments and stays are expensive, and I hate that there's a price tag on these kids' lives. But there is, and we wanted to help so family's never have to pull the plug on their child because they can't afford it. And along with raising money for the families were also trying to raise awareness and money for research to try to help these kids get better. No life is too small and task is too big. We all wanted to help as much as we could, and that's what we're doing.

Once we get over to where they were standing I clear my throat so my parents knew that my girlfriend was here and if they could, possibly refrain from any embarrassing noises or comments. They eventually turn to us and I smile big as my parents look at Maliyah.

"Wow. It is such a pleasure to finally meet you" my mom insists.

"You too" Maliyah replies as she pulls my mom into a hug. I didn't tell her to do that but bonus points to her.

"Mom that is my girlfriend Maliyah. Mal, that's my mom Laurie and my dad John" I introduce.

"Pleasure to meet you" my dad says pulling her into a hug.

"The pleasure is mine" Maliyah insists.

"Can I just say that you're really pretty" my mom starts and I glare at her. "Anthony has sent me tons of pictures but they hardly do you justice" she continues.

"How about we show you guys Mal's room. Let's do that" I say trying to change the subject.

"Come on Tony, lighten up" Maliyah teases.

"Trust me... it only gets worse from here" I mumble.

"For me or for you" she smirks and I squint my eyes at her. I start to tickle her side as she giggles.

"No" she begs.

"Apologize" I demand.

"Alright! I'm sorry" she laughs and I stop. But I keep her in my arms as she looks up at me.

"Ohhhh you guys are adorable" my mom says and we stop messing around. I go back to holding her hand as she stands beside me.

"I totally forgot you guys were here" I admit and my mom scoffs.

"Anthony" Maliyah shuns and I shrug.

"What? I can't help it... I get like what when I'm around you" I insist.

"Aww" she coos.

"Awww" my mom adds on.

"Awh man" I moan when I realize that I am never going to hear the end of that from either of them.

We take my parents up to the 14th floor and show them around Maliyah's room. We play around on the piano and play them a song. My dad played a bunch of instruments which was how I got into music as a kid. And I know Maliyah doesn't like singing in front of people but she didn't seem to mind right now.

After hanging out in there for a little we take them to the roof. That was kind of our get away from life for a while so I thought it was important to show them that. Maliyah walks straight to the edge and I can tell my mom was a bit wheezy.

"Careful sweetie" she warns.

"Don't worry, I'm fine. I do this a lot" Maliyah insists.

"Please don't tell me that my son got you to do this" my mom begs and I blush. She's told me that I'm not exactly the best influence.

"He did. But being up here, with him, it's my most favorite thing in the world" Maliyah smiles.

"Aren't you afraid" my dad asks.

"No. Not anymore. At once I was afraid. Afraid of being sick, afraid of dying, afraid of falling. But I learned that being worried just means you suffer twice. Once is more than enough, I've had enough suffering to last me a lifetime. I figured we don't get enough irrational happiness. And standing out here looking over this beautiful city, this is mine" she explains.

"It is pretty incredible up here" my dad admits.

"Have you guys ever wanted to be free? Just for a little while to have nowhere you have to be, have nothing you have to do" she asks.

"All the time. Once you have kids you'll understand why I say literally all the time" my mom claims and I let out a loud scoff. "Oh come on, I love you" she says as she rubs my back.

"When I'm this high I feel free. I feel like all the heavy stuff weighting me down is gone. And just for a little bit I feel like I can fly once again someday" Maliyah smiles. She doesn't open up a lot, but my parents have that effect on people.

"Sweetie, you got beautiful wings. You're going to fly again" my mom says.

"I sure hope so."