61

Maliyah

For a while I was well known in the volleyball world, both loved and hated. The people who were cheering for me love me, the people who I played against hated me. It isn't rocket science, no one likes to be outplayed, and no one hated that more than me. So I was a competitor, I competed every night like it was my last. I wasn't ever cocky, I knew I could always be better. I knew that there were people out there who wanted nothing more than to beat me, I just made it so that couldn't happen as long as I had something to say about it.

And so coming here knowing that I was going to be on a team of girls who might not like me, that was scary. I haven't been in the volleyball world since my hiatus and I've learned from my dad who has sworn enemies in the football world that grudges don't die. And the fact that I was named captain without even playing any games in three years didn't sit well with some people, or so I've heard. I've only hung out with some of the girls that I knew like Ann and I haven't officially met the others. Well that is until now.

"Welcome ladies, this is your 2014 team USA volleyball team. We have a few prelim games before the tournament actually starts so we are going to use those to see how you guys handle yourself under the pressure. As you know your captain is Miss Collins and she will be on the court at all times. If there is any problems you answer to her. Today we are just running drills then tomorrow we will take on five on five exhibitions to get us ready for games. Any questions" the coach asks. It stays silent so she decided that it was time to get started.

I get put in a group with Ann and two girls named McKayla and Taylor for passing drills. Now I've never played with Taylor before but I've certainly played against her. She was good, but not half as good as she thought she was. She was one of those "I have a god given talent so I don't need to work any harder" type of girls. I didn't expect to have any problems with anyone, but if there was going to be a issue it would be with her.

We get started with hitting drills against the wall and it goes pretty well. I notice that this was a pretty talented group with a lot of potential and we should have a good shot to win the tournament. But I also notice that Taylor had been going easy on the drills and she had stoped trying after about ten minutes. I get that this seemed silly, for we trained in volleyball all our lives and didn't need to do basic drills. But in order to play as a team, we had to work as one. And we're only as strong as our weakest competitor, so effort should not be in question here.

"Hey Taylor, can you come help with drills" I ask her nicely.

"Aren't you supposed to be miss "I can do everything"? Why do you need my help" she scoffs and I stop. The gym falls silent as I rest the ball on my hip.

"And what is that supposed to mean" I challenge.

"You didn't have to work as hard as the rest of us and they just gave you a spot on the team and the C. So why do I have to work" she asks.

"You think I didn't work for this? You think this was just given to me" I question.

"Pretty much. You haven't played volleyball since 2012 and all the sudden you show up here in the captains spot? There's girls here who trained every day for years for what was given to you because of someone you used to be" she accuses.

"I worked my ass off to be here. Even before I was sick I worked every damn day to be this person that people put their trust in. I missed my brothers greatest moments, I missed school dances, I spent hours in a gym seven days out of the week, I competed against grown men to make sure I was ready for this exact position I'm in. You don't think I worked to be that girl you're talking about? I have done nothing but train to be here today. I had to beat cancer then go out and get back everything I lost while I was in there for two years. Then I was able to build myself even better than before just so I could be here. If you think I didn't work like everyone else in here then you're thinking about a different girl.

Don't think for a second that I'm not thankful that I was even thought up for this position on this team, I'm forever grateful for every chance I'm given. And if the best perosnel in volleyball thinks that I am worthy of this job then I'm not going to let them down. I will give it my all every step of the way and I expect that same thing from every single girl in here. We're all here for a reason, but it's going to take more than fate to take 20 girls of all different backgrounds to think and act as one. And we can't do that if someone thinks that they don't have to work as hard as everyone else. I promise you I will be the first girl on the court and the last one off every single day. Do as you please but you will never question my work ethic or dedication to this team ever again.

Do I make myself clear" I ask.

"Yes" she says softly.

"Alright. Now lets all get back to work. We have a long way until we're ready to see some action" I insist.

"Let's go" Ann cheers and the rest of the girls all follow suit.

After about two hours we were done with practiced and released for the night.

"Collins, I would like a word with you" the coach says and I let out a sigh. I figured she would. Everyone else leaves and I walk over to her. We sit in the bleachers and I turn to her.

"I'm so sorry if I overstepped any boundaries today, I-" I start.

"I'm not mad Maliyah" she interrupts and I let out a sigh.

"Really" I ask.

"Not at all. In fact that was exactly why we wanted you here. There is no successful team without someone leading them. And you proved today that your not just the girl we need on the court but off it too. I wanted to tell you good job" she says and I smile.

"Okay good. Because I'm not the type of captain that's cocky or thinks she's better than anyone, I just worked way too hard to get where I am for someone to spread rumors that this stuff is just handed to me" I explain.

"I know. We picked you for a reason" she reminds.

"Right. And thank you so much for this opportunity. It's been amazing so far and I can't wait to start playing" I admit.

"I can't wait to watch" she smiles.