69

Maliyah

Leukemia is terrible. The type I had, even more so. There's only 20,000 cases a year and only 10,000 actually get into remission. So I have to be watched closely, constantly having my numbers checked and I always finding my way back to the hospital.

But this was my first major checkup since I left the hospital seven months ago. I've been back to give blood for testing about once a month to make sure that my blood cells weren't going crazy again, but this time I had the MRI and x-rays and got stuck with a needle a bunch of times. They took blood and bone marrow and sent it all to be tested.

That brings me to now, where I was sitting in a hospital room with Anthony by my side. His pinky wrapped in mine because our hands were too sweaty to be holding each other since we were both really nervous. We were pretty on edge even though we haven't had any signs that my cancer was back, there's still that "what if" running through your mind. Although I felt fine, it was still very possible that I was sick. And there's always that possibility that I was dying and I didn't even know it. When my lungs shut down I had no idea that was coming. So all I could do is hold the thing I love most close to me and hope for the best.

Eventually my doctor comes into the room with a stack of papers. In there was my results of the tests and I have to admit I was really very nervous. I felt like I was going to throw up.

"Good afternoon Miss Collins" he says as he sits down across from me.

"That really depends on what's on those papers" I tease and he laughs.

"Good to see that you haven't lost your sense of humor" he notices.

"Some things never change" I assure him.

"Well I looked through your numbers and everything is normal. You look to be perfectly healthy" he announces and I let out a loud sigh.

"Thank god" I admit. I feel Anthony's grip on my pinky get tighter and I look over to him. He had a tear in his eyes and that made my heart skip a beat. I know he was scared and didn't want to admit it, I think I speak for the both of us when I say we are sooo relieved to hear that everything is as it should be.

After talking about the continuing treatment I must take and scheduling another checkup it was time for me to leave. But before we leave Anthony and I head up to the roof. I smile big when the cool Chicago wind softly blows through my hair, that's a new experience up here.

We go and sit on the edge of the building and look out to the city. The clouds float just above us as we enjoy the cool fall weather.

"I remember when I used to sit up here and I wondered if I would ever get out of this place" I recall.

"And now look at you. You're healthy, you have a gold medal and super cute boyfriend" he teases as I roll my eyes.

"Couldn't miss that one, could you" I ask.

"You know I couldn't have" he assures me.

"Well I enjoy your cheesiness. It makes me happy" I admit.

"You make me happy" he says as he pulls me closer to him. I rest my head on his shoulder and close my eyes. I inhale deeply as I let this moment turn into something.

"So what are you going to do now that worlds is over and you're healthy" he wonders.

"I don't know. I don't work again until you do and there's no volleyball activities for me to do. I guess get ready for the summer Olympics in a few years, help you and your family out with the foundation, fall even more in love with you" I admit.

"I like that plan" he agrees.

"Maybe we can go back to Florida for a while. I think we earned a little vacation. You can show me your home town and we can go out on the boat" I suggest.

"I love that plan" he says.

"Maybe even think about having kids" I mention and I feel him shift next to me. I finally open my eyes to see his eyes nearly popping out of his head.

"Seriously" he asks.

"I mean... yeah. I graduated, I got a job where no matter what you'll be there with me. I'm not sick and I don't plan on being sick again any time soon. Life is so full of surprises it would be a shame if we waited too long to have a kid. I don't want to think that we missed a chance to start a family, because I do want to have kids with you. I just wasn't ready, but life isn't going to wait forever for me. I think we're in a good place in our lives to make some big moves" I explain.

"That is the best thing I've heard in my entire life that isn't hearing that you're in remission" he claims and I giggle.

"I figured you would like that" I admit.

"Is it okay if we stay in Chicago for a little while longer" he wonders.

"Of course. Did you have something planned" I wonder.

"Wouldn't you like to know" he teases.

"Kinda why I asked" I remind him.

"Alright smart ass. There is something, but I can't tell you. Only time will tell" he claims.

"You're so mysterious" I admit.

"Really? Because I feel like you're the only person who understands me" he claims.

"I do understand you. I get why you do the things you do and I know things without you having to tell me. But sometimes you're just a wonderful surprise. It makes things so interesting, so fresh. I wouldn't want to know everything and still be surprised about things with anyone else" I insist.

"Yeah, we're pretty good together" he admits and I giggle.

"Yeah, I think you're right."