24

Maliyah

There's not a lot to look forward to when you spend every day in a hospital. At some point someone in here is always struggling and no matter how much we want to help, there isn't much we can do. If I think I have it bad then try to imagine going through this before you even get to kindergarten, now that's hard. So somethings it's hard to be positive and optimistic when all you know is pain and disappointment. But when it's the holidays the people around here they always seem to brighten up. There's a little pep in their step and a smile on their faces. People get into the holiday spirit and there's decorations and music playing.

My personal favorite holiday while in here was Halloween, because for once a year we can all be whatever we want to be. These kids have been told no more times than any kid should ever be told no, and finally, you can tell them you can be whatever you want to be and the answer is always yes. It means a world of difference to them. You see a bunch of astronauts or athletes or superheroes walking around the hospital dressed up. For a day they're not a kid with cancer, they're Clark Kent or Big Papi or someone who doesn't have cancer. Someone who has all the strength in the world to do whatever it is they want to.

This year the hospital is letting the kids trick or treat inside the hospital. They had access to all 20 floors and can go room to room getting candy. Anthony and I agreed to help hand it out and make the kids' experience special. So he bought at least 20 pounds of candy for all of the 14th floor and set some at each door. Not everyone can participate and the older kids weren't all that into it so most of them just set the candy outside their door and the kids can just take a piece. But I loved the holiday and was really into the little celebration we were doing this year so I wanted to be a part of it.

"Here, put this on" Anthony says tossing me a bag. I catch it as I hold up a bag that looked like the one he had in his hands.

"What's this" I wonder as I look at the black bag.

"Your Halloween costume" he claims and I raise a eyebrow.

"We didn't plan one" I remind him.

"I know. But what's the fun of Halloween if you don't have on a halloween costume" he asks.

"Alright. You got a point" I laugh.

I go to the bathroom and somehow open up the packaging all by myself. It was a small feat but still a feat. Inside the packaging was a Wonder Woman onesie and I smile big. I've been really into onesies since Tiffany got me the unicorn one for my birthday and I've been meaning to get some more. He thought they were silly at first but I got him a Cubs one and he always wears it now. He would play in it if he had the choice.

I easily slip into the onesie and pull up the hood. I pull down the crown that came with the outfit and I look in the mirror. How I wish I could be this powerful in real life. To be able to fly. To be so strong that I can protect everyone. To have such a sense of purpose in life.

"Are you okay in there" Anthony asks as I snap out of my Day dream.

"I'm great" I assure him.

I walk out and immediately start to laugh. I see Anthony in a Superman onesie, but his was a bit more snug than mine was. He was a big boy so it was funny to see how fit the legs and chest was on him.

"Mhmm, you're looking good Superman" I smile as I wrap my arms around his neck. I run my fingers through his hair as he holds me close.

"I feel like I'm going to bust out of this thing" he admits and I giggle.

"Well then we need to get some pictures before super man becomes something super bad. We can't have you going around scaring the kids when your big butt rips out of the onesie" I insist.

"Then let's find Tamara and get some superhero super pictures" he insists.

He grabs my hand and we go out in search for the worlds best nurse. We find her decorating the common area for the party later and she takes some cute pictures of us on my phone. Anthony takes my phone and sends himself all the pictures because he was obsessed with any picture of the two of us. He's got to have hundreds on that phone of his because no matter what I tell him he always makes me take a picture with him.

Finally the party gets started and kids start coming over. Anthony and I give each kid 3 pieces of candy and they were all so excited. There was quite a few kids dressed like him and I thought it was the cutest thing ever. Every time he saw someone dressed as him he had the biggest smile on his face. It meant the world to him that out of anything in the world someone would want to be him.

Eventually it gets late and the kids had to go to bed. So Anthony and I take the leftover candy that we secretly put back so we didn't hand out our favorite kinds and decide to watch a scary movie. He tucks us into my bed and I take the role of the big spoon so he can eat his candy in peace. I find the first Paranormal Activity and decide that one will do it and press play. He starts to shift in my arms as his head rested on my chest. He covers his eyes with a part of the blanket and I smirk down at him.

"Are you scared of scary movies" I ask him.

"Terrified" he admits.

"We don't have to watch a scary Halloween movie. We can watch Halloweentown or Hocus Pocus or something" I insist.

"I like scary movies. I'm just a big man that's scared easily" he claims and I laugh.

"Alright superman" I tease.

"Hold me Wonder Woman" he fake cries and I wrap my arms around him. I kiss the top of his head as he squeezes me tight.

The movie starts and he jumps a few times when the music was building up or something popped out. Every time the suspenseful music starts he squeezes me even tighter and closes his eyes. His nose scrunches up and I smile big because he was so stinking cute. I hold him tight as he jumps again and I try not to laugh. But I couldn't help it, it's not too often I'm the one being held on to.