57

Maliyah

Although the season was almost over, I got my first crack at being the marketing manager for the Chicago Cubs late this September day. The last guy who had this job had to quit because he was originally from Canada and he interned here but it was time for him to come home. He got a job with the Blue Jays so he could be closer to his family. So that left the position open for me and thanks to my new college degree I was qualified for the job. Now I get to go around and help out the media departments and run some promotional things like free hats or bobble heads. All that good stuff.

"You look so cute" Anthony insists as I pull on a red dress. It was a work formal type of gig which I was okay with because I loved to dress up. And the dress was fitted but stopped at my knees so it was still modest. I had on some black heels and my short hair free and almost in a Afro with the curls.

"Thank you sweetie" I smile. I pull him into a kiss then go to break away but he pulls me right back in. "Mhmm, someone's extra affectionate today" I notice as his hands squeeze my hips.

"Because you are looking mighty fine if I do say so myself" he claims and I giggle.

"Alright Romeo, lets get this show on the road. We're needed down in Wrigleyville" I remind him.

"I don't think they would be mad if I spent a few more minutes here with you" he insists as he pulls my body against his.

"It's my first day on the job, I really don't want to be late because my boyfriend doesn't know how to keep his hands to himself" I declare.

"Just for that comment you're getting a shower of kisses" he announces.

"Anthony no-" I start but was soon interrupted by the sounds of my own giggles. His lips attack my face as I try not so hard to push him away. His lips meet my skin repeatedly as he makes sure he kisses every inch of my face. "Ugh you're the worst" I insist as I try to wipe away all saliva he left behind.

"Or the best" he mumbles on my skin. 

"Definitely the best" I assure him.

After I finally get him off of me and to keep it in his pants we head over to Wrigley. I drop him off at the players entrance before heading up to the media section of the boxes high above the field. I find Laura up there talking with a bunch of the important people in the Cubs organization and smile when she calls me over. She introduces me to all the big names, Jed Hoyer, her brother Tom, and the big man himself Theo.

I've heard a lot about Theo, for he's the one who wanted Anthony on his team from the very beginning. When Anthony was initially drafted out of high school it was by Theo when he was with the Red Sox. Then Theo left the Red Sox organization and came to Chicago. Anthony was traded from the Sox to San Diego then Theo traded for Anthony to come be with him again and this time for the Cubs. Those two have a lot of history together and it was such a pleasure to finally meet the first guy who believed in Anthony and who will always believe in him.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you. I've heard nothing but the greatest things about you" Theo says as I start to blush. He shakes my hand and I give his a nice squeeze.

"I think Anthony over sells me a bit" I insist as we break apart.

"I don't think he does" Laura claims.

"Well I'm just happy you're here and I'm happy I can finally meet you. I know you're going to be great for this organization just as Anthony has been" Theo claims.

"The pleasure is all mine" I smile.

After getting introduced to everyone Laura shows me where I will be hanging out on game-days when I'm not in the crowd. But I am more than welcomed to go down and mingle with he fans. That's a big part of being this organization, they don't want a huge line between the staff and the fans. And that's what's going to make this job so much fun, being so involved with everything.

So I go down to the bleachers and I find a seat. I sit there and look out as the grounds crew take care of the field.

I think back to a time not too long ago where all I wanted was to be at this field. I wanted to be able to watch my boyfriend play the game he loves and be able to support him. I wanted to be a part of his atmosphere, a part of something bigger than myself. And I knew this organization was great, what Anthony and the Cubs had done for the children's hospital alone was incredible. Then there's people like Laura who does tons of community service for the city. It's such a great feeling, to be a part of something as amazing as this. It gives my life some meaning, I'm not just a former cancer patient. I'm a working girl who just so happens to have the chance to make a difference in this world.

"Hey cutie in the bleachers" someone yells and I look down. I see Anthony standing in front of the ivy so I walk down to say hi to him.

"Hey baseball player" I tease.

"What are you doing out here" he wonders.

"Just getting some fresh air" I admit.

"Have I told you yet that you look so beautiful" he asks and I start to blush. I love that he could still do that to me.

"You might have mentioned it" I smirk.

"Well you do" he says. "You look so incredibly beautiful."