67

Anthony

After what is cracking up to be a amazing year we settle back down in Chicago. Although I do miss coming home during the break what I'm doing now is a lot more fun. New York was amazing and I had a few more things I wanted to take care of while I was here in Chicago anyway.

So this cool morning we head over to Luries and walk around. We say hi to the kids and catch up with Tamara. I knew Maliyah was really missing her and this is the longest another of us have been away from the hospital so this trip was overdue.

"I have someone who has been waiting to meet you" Tamara insists and I smile.

"Awesome, who is it" I wonder.

"Him name is Nathan and he's 7. He's got to be your biggest fan ever" she insists.

"Well let's meet him" I insist.

She takes us to the third floor which was the more serious cancer patients. So we put on our masks and gloves and she takes us to the first door down one of the halls. She knocks before opening to door and letting herself in. We follow behind as I feel the suspense building up.

"Hey Nate, we have a special guest for you" Tamara announces as I walk in.

I see a little boy with bright blue eyes sitting in the edge of the bed. He had on my jersey and it was huge on him since she was so small. I cajoled see the bones on his arms and legs and he was pale. I see the green sign in his room telling me he had bone cancer and from the looks of it, it was hitting him pretty hard.

I walk over to him and his face just lights up. He jumps up in his spot and pats the seat next to him before I sit down. I wrap my arm around him pull him closer as he looks up at me.

"Hey Nathan, how are you today" I ask as he stares at me with his big blue eyes.

"You're Anthony Rizzo" he whispers and I laugh.

"I am. And I heard youre my biggest fan" I say and he nods his head quickly.

"I am! I really am" he promises me and I smile.

"Well it is a honor to meet you" I admit. "Can I introduce you to someone really special" I ask as he continues to smile.

"Yes please" he says making my heart flutter. He was so adorable.

I call Maliyah over and she stands next to me.

"This is my girlfriend Maliyah. She was here for two years because she had cancer too" I explain as he looks up at her. She bends down to see eye to eye with him before she grabs his hand.

"You're really pretty" Nathan starts and both Maliyah and I start to laugh. Kids really do say the earnest things.

"Thanks. You look super strong and super brave" she says and the little boy gasps loudly.

"Really" he asks and she nods.

"Really" she promises.

"I want to be big and strong like anthony" he claims and she nods.

"You can be. And do you want to know why I know that" she asks and he nods his head as quick as he could. "Because you and Anthony has a lot in common. You bother have a big heart and big dreams. And when he had cancer he had people in his corner fighting for him, just as we are going to fight with you" she explains.

"I would like that a lot" he admits and she smiles.

"Then let's get started" she insists.

We find his parents and we start to game plan. But it was different this time than when I met with other families. This time Mal was taking the bull by its horns and it was honestly amazing. She was every bit a part of the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation even though she didn't have my last name... yet.

"It was such a pleasure to meet you guys" Nathan's mom insists.

"The pleasure is al ours. We've been wanting to come back here and now that the season is over and Mal is done with her tournament we should be around for a little" I admit.

"Well thank you guys, you're seriously the most amazing people out there" she insists.

"Not even close. We just know what's it's like to be in here. To be young and sick and have so many questions. We just want to be whatever Nathan and you guys need us to be" Maliyah explains. Her mom pulls her into a tight hug and I smile big. Moments like this is why I do what I do.

Eventually we head back home and I flip on the couch. Mal lays on to of me and I wrap my arms around her. She rests her head on my chest and I start to run my fingers through her growing hair.

"I really hope Nathan is going to get better" she claims.

"What makes you say that" I wonder.

"I say that about every kid that comes in there. And sometimes they don't make it out. I was there for two years, I lost friends o barley got to know. Kids who did nothing to deserve this. Who should be able to live to go to middle school or high school and be whatever they want to be" she says.

"We can't cure their cancer" I remind her.

"I know... I just... I don't know" she says softly.

"Hey now" I whisper as I pull her chin up. I wipe a tear from her cheek as she looks at me. "What you and I are doing, it's the best we can do without curing cancer. You have to know that" I insist.

"It's just when I was holding that little boys hand I can tell he was so scared. So scared that he can't grow up and be you like he wants to. That's scary" she insists.

"It really is. But he has a lot of fight in him, so many people behind him and supporting him. He's in the best situation he can be in" I say.

"You promise" she asks.

"I promise."