48

Anthony

Although the summer doesn't hold a lot of different holidays like the fall and winter seasons do, there is one that every American takes to heart, and that's the Fourth of July. And while we still have a game today, there was going to be fireworks afterwards win or lose, but hopefully win.

But until then I was running around town with my girlfriend. We were looking for some fun things to do for her birthday at the end of this month and mine at the beginning of the next. She insists she doesn't want a gift but there's no way I wasn't going to get her something. She means too much to me for me to not have some thoughtful gift that means something to her and for our relationship. So I keep my eyes and ears open for anything she picks up on and try remember it for later.

"Oh man, when did it start raining" I ask as we stand inside of target. Our arms full of snacks and little things that only target can trick you into buying.

"I don't know, I don't think it's gonna stop any time soon though" she admits.

"Should we make a run for it" I ask.

"I'll beat you there" she challenges. I turn to her and before I can even say anything she takes off.

I quickly chase after her as we try to find the car in this mess. And I mean it was coming down so hard that I could barley even see in front of me. But I find the car and throw my stuff in the back. I close the door and look around for Maliyah but I couldn't find her anywhere.

"Maliyah" I yell trying desperately to find her so we can go. I don't see her anywhere and I start to panic.

"Ahhh" someone yells and I start to scream. Once I realize that it was my lovely girlfriend just scaring the living shit out of me I grab for my heart as I try to calm it down.

"Leah" I screech and she starts to laugh.

"Oh my god that was great" she claims.

I suddenly reach over and softly tackle her to the ground. She laid on the soaking wet surface as I hovered above her dangerously close. She continues to laugh as I move the hair out of her face. Finally she calms down as she looks up at me.

"Oh man, that was fun" she claims.

"Says you. I thought I lost you one second then you nearly crapped our of me the next. It was a terrible few seconds for me" I insist.

"I enjoyed it" she claims.

"You're mean" I accuse.

"You still love me though" she admits.

"More than anything" I agree.

She looks from my eyes to my lips then back to my eyes again and that's all I needed to see. I lean down and give her a kiss as the rain continues to come down. We were both soaked by this point and didn't really care about getting wet.

"Are you going to let me get up" she asks as we break apart.

"Yes, but only because I'm afraid someone is going to run us over with their car" I admit.

I get up and I help her up off the ground. We jump into the car and try our best not to ruin the inside of the car.

I look over to see Maliyah messing around with her hair in the mirror. Her little curls now wavy as she tries to wipe away any excess water. I sit there and watch for a little just admiring how pretty she is. I always thought she was beautiful, there never was a moment where I didn't think she was. But something about the rain on her skin made her glisten.

"Why are you staring at me" she finally asks.

"Because you're so pretty" I say and she smiles at me.

"You're so nice" she claims and I laugh.

"I sure hope so" I joke.

After drying off enough that I was able to grip the wheel we drive home. By the time we get there the rain was gone and the sun was out. Chicago was funny like that.

I get inside and skip the shower because I just got one. I change into what I wanted to wear over to Wrigley and meet Maliyah out in the living room. She was wearing my jersey and a pair of jean shorts and I smile when I see my name across her back. One day... one day.

"You about ready" I ask her.

"All set" she smiles.

So we go over to the friendly confines for some good all American baseball. It helps that our colors are already red white and blue, so I didn't really have to dress up for the occasion.

The game comes and goes and we actually ended up winning. I had a home run and a double and even though we weren't really in contention for the post season, we were still having fun.

Eventually they let the families come down to the field to enjoy some fireworks over the stadium and my girl quickly finds me. We hang out with my friends on the team and have a lot of fun on the field. We wait for the fireworks to start and simply enjoy the holiday.

"What's your favorite part about playing here" Maliyah wonders as we sit under the stars.

"The fans, honestly. I know we're not anything exciting and don't always give them something to cheer about, but they still come. And a lot of them in my jersey. It means a lot to me" I insist.

"But I'm your biggest fan" she claims causing me to smile.

"I don't doubt it" I assure her.

Finally the fireworks start and we sit back and watch. The sky lights up all different colors and I couldn't help but find myself so thankful for this life I have. I could have easily not had any of this... not the girl of the team or the life. But life works in mysterious ways and I am really thankful for that.