27

Maliyah

You wouldn't think that there is a lot that I am thankful for this Thanksgiving. I've had so much taken from me, maybe I just have nothing left to be thankful for. Maybe I don't have time to be thankful because I'm too busy trying to save my own life.

But I find it harder not to be thankful than to be thankful. For my situation is not ideal, but I am extremely blessed. I'm surrounded by tons of people who love me. Plenty of people by my side cheering me on the whole way giving me the support I need. Thankful is just the beginning of how I was feeling this Thanksgiving.

My whole family and Anthony's family all decided to come to Chicago and host a big Thanksgiving Day meal for the hospital for such a occasion. We will be invading the kitchen and sharing secret recipes and cooking for everyone so they can have a nice home cooked meal since they couldn't go home. Well, at least a better meal that what the hospital serves every other day.

So once all 30 of us we're here and ready to get this party started we all squeeze into the kitchen. There was about 25 turkeys and 25 hams ready to be seasoned and glazed. Then there was plenty of potatoes and fresh fruits and vegetables and other things to be prepared so no one should be at a loss of things to do.

After taking forever to get ready up in my room I finally go down to the kitchen and see everyone talking loudly while cooking or baking. Anthony's family and my family mingle together and I smile big. There was a crap ton of people in here but there was a lot of love too.

"Alright. Who's child is this" Anthony asks as he carries my niece over to me.

"This beautiful little lady is RJ's youngest, Kiara" I explain.

"Well she's ours now" he claims and I laugh.

"I don't think RJ would like that much" I insist.

"That's okay" Anthony claims.

"That's okay" Kiara repeats and I laugh. I kiss her cheek and they go off to mess around some more. Mostly to mess with Anthony's brother John and make him mad. Because why would Anthony be doing anything else?

I walk around and help with whatever is needed. I end up making pies with Anthony's mom Laurie and my mom as we cut up apples and blueberries and strawberries for the filling. I couldn't help but have the biggest smile on my face as I listen to two incredible mothers banter.

"You're practically glowing" Laura notices and I start to blush.

"I'm in a really good mood. For the first time in a really long time I don't feel like I'm dying, I feel like I'm living again. And I'm surrounded by the most wonderful people on this holiday where I'm to be thankful for my life. And I finally am" I admit.

"Well that's good to hear. Hopefully that means you can get out of here soon" she says.

"I sure hope so. I feel so bad that Anthony won't go home in his few months off to spend some time with you guys. I tried to tell him that I would be okay but there's no convincing him of anything when he has his mind set to something" I giggle.

"Don't I know it" Laura admits.

"What are your plans for Christmas" my mom wonders and I just shrug.

"I don't know. It depends on how I'm feeling. I would love to come home but if things aren't going well I won't be able to leave. I don't want to set anything in stone because it's easier to make plans than change them" I explain.

"I get it. If you can make it home for a little, even if it's for a day, we would greatly appreciate it" she claims.

"I'll try my best. I promise" I smile.

We finish with all the food around 1 and let it all cook or stay warm in one of the ovens. We move from the kitchen to the cafeteria to set the table up with table cloths and Thanksgiving themed things. The football game plays off in the background as we all gather around the table. Sadly for us the Steelers got the Thanksgiving Day game so Tim couldn't be here but we had no problem cheering him on from afar. As long as he wasn't playing the bears my family proudly wore his Saints jersey.

Once the food was done we finish setting the tables. Not everyone in the whole building will fit here, but that's okay, we're gonna try to get everyone who can get out get down here. Some kids have to stay in their rooms so we would be making special deliveries before we sat down to eat ourselves. So we go to the kids' rooms and say hi and give them a plate of whatever food they wanted. By about 5 that was all done and we could finally sit down and enjoy the meal ourselves.

Sometime throughout the dinner Anthony's Dad stands up and taps on his glass with a spoon. Everyone quiets down as he looks around waiting for his turn to speak.

"I just want to take the time on this Thanksgiving Day to say thank you to everyone who made today possible. Everyone got a good home cooked meal and it really does make the world inside this hospital seem like a better place.

I want to give a special thank you to Maliyah and the whole Collins family for helping us put this together and help the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation put on a event such as this. We couldn't have done it without you. I know it doesn't seem like much from the outside, but we all know how important it is to share a meal with the ones you love because you never know when you can do it again. Life is unpredictable but I'm happy it has brought us all here together.

And my son would also like to say a few words on his behalf" John says and he sits down. Anthony stands up beside me and he smiles down at me.

"Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful. But I'm thankful every day for the life I have.

Not too long ago I was in a hospital just like this fighting for my life. I was just a kid, just like everyone else in here. I wasn't sure what was going to happen next. I just remember being so scared, I remember looking into my parents eyes and seeing so much pain. And I remember thinking to myself that no one should have to go through that either.

So once I got better we started this foundation that continues to grow, we try our best to make a difference in people's lives. We want to find a cure for this terrible disease that has taken too many kids away from us. Our goals are so much bigger than this lovely meal, but this is a great place to start.

There's a lot I'm thankful for today. For my experiences that brought me here. For the people who are in my life brightening it up every day. For my ability to do what I love with the people I love.

And I'm thankful that through the ugliness we have something as beautiful as moments like this we can share together. I'm thankful for Maliyah and her family for being some of the strongest, funniest, and most down to earth people there ever was. There are no guys like me without people like you all.

Most of all... I'm thankful for you, Maliyah. I cannot be who I am without you. You make me the happiest man alive every time you look at me and I'm thankful for this love that will never die."