8

Roxanne

I love motorcycles and old cars. I love old time rock and roll and hard rock. I love black, leather and ripped jeans. 

But I also love musicals. It's the one thing that I'm not really proud of. Ever since we were kids, Lacey and I would always be found glued to the television set, watching some kind of Disney movie - usually Hercules or Lion King. 

There is something oddly relaxing singing 'Go the Distance' at the top of your lungs. 

Tonight, I am curled up on my couch - a fuzzy, black blanket wrapped around me as Hercules plays on the TV in front of me. I'm not as into it as I usually would be. My heart isn't into it today with my mind racing with all the madness that is my life. 

I'm trying and failing to come up with some sort of plan to end this war between Jaxon and my father. I don't want either man to die, both are equally important to me. However, I am a Red Devil through and through. What I am doing right now is treacherous and dangerous. If anyone found out about my involvement with Jaxon...

It could be deathly. 

Even with the President being my father, betraying my brothers surely would end with a bullet in my brain. 

Yet, I can't forget about Jaxon. The simple thought of him dying brings tears to my eyes and a knife to my heart - especially if I think of my dad being the one to do it. 

Sighing, I flick off the movie and get up from the couch. I turn off the lamps and then head to my bedroom. Grabbing my sketchbook and pencil, I sit on the bench by the window and turn to a blank page. Bringing the pencil to the paper, I push down and begin making soft strokes against the smooth surface. 

Unaware of what I am drawing, I just allow my hand to guide the pencil in whatever direction it wishes. The lines I create are soft and gentle as I expertly sketch the object that I desire. 

Jaxon's eyes stare up at me as I darken the pupils. I stop to look down at him and a teardrop falls to the paper - followed by another and another. 

When did I start crying? 

I don't know, but now that it starts, it doesn't stop. Tears run down my face and smudge the markings I created on the paper. Smashing the book closed, I throw it across the room and watch as it hits the wall with a loud bang. 

And then the waterworks really start. 

Sobs wrack my body and my throat begins to burn as I release all the devastation I'm feeling. My entire body trembles and my head begins to pound. My chest begins to ache with the pressure in my heart begins to build with each passing second. 

And my lungs begin to struggle as they beg for oxygen that I'm unable to take. 

A tapping noise behind me makes me jump out of my skin and I turn in a hurry to see Jaxon standing on the other side of the window. 

Quickly stammering over to it, I slide it up and he climbs inside. 

"What are you doing here?" I ask, wiping away the tears that stain my face. "And why did you use the fire escape and not the front door?"

He chuckles. "I thought that would be more romantic, but then I realized it was just a death trap. I don't know how you are supposed to use it if there was ever an emergency." He looks up at me, his eyes widening as he takes in my appearance. He takes two giant steps towards me and caresses my cheek. "Are you okay, Roxanne?"

And I can't hold the tears back from falling again. Another sob escapes me and he brings me into his chest - holding me tightly with his strong arms. I can hear him whispering sweet words into my hair as he gently rubs my back - which only makes me cry harder.