19

Roxanne

"What?" My father says. His face is turning red as he stares at me in disbelief. "What did you say?"

I roll my eyes. "I love him," I repeat. "I love Jason Cruz. He's an amazing man. He's caring and loving and-"

"Enough." He says as he brings his hand up to his heart. He stumbles back until he's against the wall. "I can't hear anymore."

"I want you to hear more, Daddy," I tell him. "I want you to understand and get to know him. I want this dumb feud to be over and done with."

His chest begins to rise and fall rapidly as he shakes his head violently. "No." He says as he continues to hold his hand over his heart - gently kneading the area as if he's trying to massage it like a tense muscle. "That will never happen."

"Why can't it happen?" I say, raising my voice a little. I furrow my eyebrows as I watch a bead of sweat form on his forehead and roll down his face. "He's a good man. I know you would like him."

"Stop," He says breathlessly. " I can't hear anymore."

"No, Dad. You need to. I love him. I-"

"No!" He yells, his face beet red. "No. Roxanne...my-"

"No, Dad. This needs to-"

"Roxanne..." He trails off as he slides down the wall to the floor. I watch in horror as his eyes roll to the back of his head and his hands fall limp at his side. 

"Daddy?" I say after a few seconds. "Daddy?"

I wait for him to move, expecting him to jump up and say 'gotcha' or something, but it never happens. He just sits there, slumped against the wall. I'm not even sure he's breathing. I don't see his shoulders raising anymore. 

"Daddy? Oh my God, Daddy!" I scream, tears burning my eyes. "Someone call nine one one! Daddy" I run to him, dropping to my knees. "Daddy, please!"

"What's going on?" Dean yells as he runs into the foyer. "Shit."

"Daddy!" I scream again over and over as I lay over him, sobbing. I vaguely recall someone pulling me away from him, but I couldn't tell you who. I just know that they have a black eye now. Maybe even two.

 Maybe even two

"William Myers. I need to know how he's doing. We have been here for thirteen hours and you haven't told us anything!" I yell at the nurse, my hands tightly closed into fists. I'm ready to hit her. She's been an awful human being the entire time I've been here. 

"I understand it's been a while, but they are still accessing him."

"There must be something you can tell me!" I scream and Dean wraps his arms around me to keep me still. "There must be someone in this fucking hospital who knows something!"

"Calm down, Roxy," Dean whispers in my ear, but I ignore him. 

"Look," The nurse says, pinching her nose between two fingers. "I have been working a double. I had to cover for Sherri since her daughter went into labour early. I haven't slept in thirty-six hours. I'm exhausted. My feet are killing me and I am finally at the end of my shift. Finally.