22

Jax

"That's the thing, Cruz. I already have won," William states before the line goes dead.

"Fuck!" I roar as I whip my phone at the wall. It shatters into a dozen pieces that fly out of sight.

So much for an indestructible case.

"What did that phone ever do to you, Jaxon?" My mother says as she pulls a chair out from beside me. She sits down beside me, watching me expectantly, waiting for me to open up. It's a familiar sight - something she used to do when I was a kid after a long day of training with dad.

"I've fucked up, Mom."

"Tell me something I don't know, Jaxon." She says, a soft smile on her lips but worry behind her eyes. "But I also know that if anyone can get out of this mess, it's you."

I shake my head slowly. "Not this time, Mom," I tell her as I loudly push my chair back so I can stand and gently grab her arm. "I need you to go to that place we talked about. You will-"

"I'm not leaving, Jaxon." She says, pulling away from me.

"Mom," I groan, rubbing my hand over my face. "I don't have time for this. You need to go. Myers and his men are on their way and they will kill you if they see you."

She purses her lips and shakes her head. "Son, I ain't running. You should know me by now."

"Mom-"

"No, Jaxon. I'm in this with you just like I was in this with your father. This club is my family and I will be damned if I'm not here to protect it." She says as she leans over the bar, pulling a sawed-off shotgun out. "Plus, it's time Sally here was put to good use."

"I don't know if I can protect you."

She laughs. "Jaxon, I don't need you to protect me. If something happens to me, then so be it. It's time your father and I met again anyways." She states. "Now go get your men ready. I'll call in the ones that aren't already here."

I kiss her on the cheek and do what she says. Storming outside, I see a handful of my men standing outside the bar. They seem solemn - news of Slade's betrayal have probably reached their ears.

"Men!" I holler and everyone looks at me, giving me their full attention. "It's time. Myers and his men are on their way. We are in for a long night.

"They outnumber us. They outgun us. They have cleared out more clubs than we have, so they have the experience. Hell, I'm sure they could wipe out clubs with their eyes closed at this point." I pause, clearing my throat. "But, men, we have something that they don't. We are smart. We are loyal. We are family and-"

"Slade wasn't loyal!" One of my men yells from the back of the crowd.

"True. Very true. However, Slade wasn't born into this was he?" I ask, turning to Axel. "How long have you been with us Axel?"

"Since birth, man. My old man was your old man's VP."

"Yes, and how long was he in this club?"

"Since birth."

"And his father?" I ask."

"Since birth."

"Exactly." I turn my attention to Dennis. "And you?"

"Third Generation."

"Larson?" 

"Second Generation. Dad came in with your father right out of high school." He replies. 

"See? Every single one of you has been here since birth. Some of you are third and fourth generation. Some of you even go back to the beginning of the Sons of Silence." I say, pacing in front of my men. "This is the difference between us and them. This is why we are better. We stick together. We stand together. We are a family. We are brothers. There is nothing that can separate us. Slade just proved that newcomers ain't loyal. They can't be trusted. And that's what makes up more than half of that club!