17

Jax 

My office phone rings and I answer it as soon as I see the number. 

"Roxanne?"

"Oh thank God," She whispers and I chuckle. "I was so worried. You weren't answering your phone."

"I know, love. I'm sorry. I smashed it," I tell her honestly as I rub the back of my neck. "Kinda lost my temper. We lost two of people and two regulars of the bar."

"Shit," She says. "I'm so sorry, Jaxon."

"It will be fine."

"I'm so sorry."

"Shh, love. It's not your fault," I say as I lean back in my chair. I'm fucking exhausted. 

"I..." She trails off, only the sound of her breathing can be heard. "Jaxon, I need to tell you some things." 

I furrow my brows. "What things?"

"Can I come see you? I would rather tell you these things in person. I-I don't want it to be said over the phone."

"Roxanne, I'm not sure-"

"Please! Jaxon, I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important."

I sigh. "Fine. Ryder should be there or almost there. Ride with him back here."

"Okay," She whispers nervously. "I will see you soon."

"Please be careful."

"Always."

She hangs up the phone and I do the same. Leaning forward, I rest my head in my hands. My head is pounding. Rubbing my temples, I allow my brain to wander. Thoughts of Roxanne flood my mind. My heart is racing right now without her here. I'm absolutely petrified something is going to happen to her. I need her here. She's safe here with me. 

A gunshot pierces the silence and I don't even jump. It doesn't shock me anymore. I've been in this life since I was fifteen years old. I've heard it all. I've seen it all. I've done it all. Nothing scares me anymore.

Well, that's not entirely true. The thought of Roxanne getting hurt or killed sends a knife right to my heart. Just thinking it makes it hard to breathe. If something happened to her, I could never live with myself. She's my everything right now. 

I love her. 

I freeze entirely the second those words pop into my brain. My blood runs cold and my heart stops completely. 

"I love her," I repeat - aloud this time. "I love her."

I can't help the smile and chuckle that escapes me with the realization. I do love her. She makes me happy. She fills me with so much life - so much hope - and I cannot see my life without her. 

I love Roxanne. 

A knock at the door interrupts my admission and I say, "Come in."

Axel storms in followed by Slade. Axel looks like he could rip the throat from someone just by looking at them. He's dangerous right now. Unstable. I feel my body grow tense in preparation of another fist flying in my direction. 

Slade, on the other hand, looks nervous. His eyes dart around the room, avoiding me entirely. He's pale - which is unusual for his dark skin. He looks like he's going pass out. 

Lovely.

"How badly did you fuck him up? You made poor Slade here sick!" I say with a humourless chuckle. 

Axel shakes his head. "He's fucking dead and the least of my worries. Where's Roxanne?" He asks angrily. 

"Not here. Ryder will be bringing her shortly," I reply, raising my brow. "Why? Should I be worried? Did he threaten her?"