o21

C H A P T E RT W E N T Y - O N E

C H A P T E R
T W E N T Y - O N E

I slumped on the bed that the boys provided me, inhaling the scent of grasses and raspberry combined.

They arranged the room as if they were expecting not just any visitor, but a lady.

The rag had a floral design, the type to flutter little young girls' hearts. Located across my bed was a vanity table. This place's nice. But the terror of what lied on the outside world was stuck in my head, leaving me uneasy.

I waited until the moon appeared so I could go to Yuta's room and have a talk. His room was just situated beside mine. Heavens, we literally live next door to each other.

"Yuta?"

The door was unlocked. I took a deep breath and slowly pushed it open.

The room was dark; the owner never bothered to turn the lights on.

Yuta was sitting on the bed. His icy blue eyes were focused on the wound on his stomach.

"Hi," I whispered.

No answer.

"Does it still hurt?"

I stepped forward to take a closer look.

"Do you want me to replace the bandage?"

He waved his head. Slowly.

"Are you sure?" I frowned until I arrived right in front of his bed. "When was the last time that you changed it?"

Yuta was still quiet.

"Why aren't you saying anything?" I snapped.

Great. I'm talking to the air.

I swallowed. "Would you like me to leave?"

"God, no," he responded immediately. "Just..." a pause. "Just please be quiet."

My face wrinkled to a frown. "Why?"

He placed his finger on top of his nose.

Then there's it again: silence. His attitude caused me to release a sigh from my lips.

"Really, Yuta, if you keep-"

"Ssshh," he interrupted urgently and with a soft voice, he added: "Listen."

To any outsider's eyes, we look like strange kids playing a game. But Yuta seemed serious. He even sounded serious.

I controlled my breath and focused my senses to my ear. If he's messing with me then I won't bother hitting his gut. This boy...

I closed my eyes softly and let the sound of my sorroundings swallow me.

After a few calculated seconds, he spoke: "Do you hear it?"