o34

C H A P T E RT H I R T Y - F O U R

C H A P T E R
T H I R T Y - F O U R

A deep, seeping blackness poured into every crack and edges of the basement's corridors, making everything seemed dense and irksome.

A chilly sensation climbed up my spine, the damp cold sharply nipping at my nose and cheeks.

I watched as Sicheng, Ten, Jaehyun and Doyoung slowly got swallowed up by the night, their figures becoming silhouettes of the dark. Until they were not in sight anymore.

Jungwoo's breathing was paced yet added with soft sounds, as if he was counting every step that he took. He was right behind me, following. We were in some place similar to a tunnel. According to Ten and the bosses, we'll just follow the path until we reach the other end, where Taeil would be waiting for us.

Without the desire to, my medal once again glowed in the night, seeming like a firefly. The bright soft intermittent light became our natural source of brightness, showering our path with green flushes.

I cleared my throat tightly and started a conversation. "Have you ever been in this place?"

There was a few gap of seconds before I received a reply. "Never. I actually never travelled farther than the Capital and our headquarters."

"Really?" I asked, astonished.

After a few seconds, Jungwoo took back his answer. "Actually, I take that back. A few months ago, we went to a place called Merry-Go-Round."

I pursed my lips. "Merry-Go-Round."

"It's an amusement park," he replied.

Something immediately barged inside my head.

"You mean... the place that Yuta rebuilt?" I asked.

"Yes, that one!" Jungwoo agreed. "I love that place," he added by a whisper, as if sharing a secret with a close friend.

Smiling, I replied, "You must have made some nice memories at it."

He hummed. "Super nice memories," then he sighed in a contended manner. "It's where I spent my last moments with... with Lucas and Jeena."

I willed myself to continue walking, despite the mention of their names. My hand skimmed on the surface of the wall as I continued leading the path.

"Is it still open?" I asked.

"What is?"

"The park."

"I'm sure that it still works. The Capital spent enormous amount of Neons for it. But, uh, I'm not sure if it's still open for visitors."