o27

(A/n: We're almost half of the story! Whew!)

C H A P T E R
T W E N T Y - S E V E N

We arrived at the cityscape, the area cluttered with all sorts of trucks.

Kun and Wendy were walking ahead of me. My two accompanies were having a conversation, all related about the Capital Fortrent's upcoming festival. The magician was inviting the girl to attend; telling her how much the people missed her voice.

"The city is falling. The son of the Rulers is missing. The bosses got separated. And the people still think of throwing a feast?" Wendy said with distaste, her brows fixed together.

"It's a tradition," Kun remarked. "And the Capital's edict is to hold the festival no matter what. The fact there is chaos brings forward the need to conduct it more, since festivals are meant for social and gaiety gatherings to establish peace."

"They're holding it this year?" I asked.

Wendy and Kun looked behind me.

"Yes," the brunette man replied, and then he paused, wrinkled his brows, and asked me, "Wait a minute; you've participated in the program before! You're...you're..." he trailed off.

I inhaled. "That was nothing."

"There was a girl who was supposed to be partnered with Lee Taeyong but ended up..."

"Getting partnered with Lucas. Yeah, that girl was me," I said, bothered.

"Oh." Kun turned silent.

Wendy seemed more intrigued. "Oh, really?"

"It was last year," I said. "And it was for the sole purpose of participation. Nothing memorable really happened."

I was starting to get accustomed to lying even more. A lot of things happened, especially with Taeyong. But he and I didn't really get along. I always had an eerie feeling about him.

I didn't like the guy.

I bet he felt the same way. He always dodged a conversation from me. I was starting to believe that he didn't want to cross paths. Even when we were little kids, he would always give me this cold look. He's like a book I was dying to get my hands upon. A mystery I can't wait to be solved.

The memory of him, the festival, and our childhood caused me to remember the journal that Jeena lent to me. The first thing I'd do once we get back in the city's to retrieve that journal. The answer that I am looking for could be there. I tried deciphering it a lot of times, but failed. There were codes: numbers, foreign symbols, and illustrations that appeared meaningless. I had no idea what it was about. In case Jeena's really alive, then I think it's for the greater cause. The journal was owned by her parents, after all. And she's the daughter. She's everything. She's special. She might be the one to fix this chaos. Not me.

I am just a stranger from a poor town. I am just a no one tangled in this mess. I am nothing like her.

I bet anyone would agree to that, even Lee Taeyong.

Clap.

Wendy clapped her hands together in front of my face, stirring my attention away.

"Heads up, Champion! We're here."

In front of us was a truck coated with rich magnolia mettle. The truck emitted a gloss, its outer quality screaming millions and millions worth of Neons. Behind it, written in large bold font, was the number "10".

Neither Wendy nor Kun needed to tell me who the owner was.

I tried to hide my smirk. "Ten, that jerk. Why does he always come up with everything so flashy?"