07

We reach the bottom of the steps and head straight for the carriage

We reach the bottom of the steps and head straight for the carriage. I look back and see the rest of our party has declined to follow us. Mom, Richard, Daniel and Marcus wait on the side of the steps, watching us as we leave. Well, Richard and mom are watching. Daniel and Marcus look as if they're about to toss my mother into oncoming traffic.

Everyone else waits at the top of the stairs, waving and calling out stupid, unfunny comments. I'm confused. Shouldn't they be following us for the reception?

"They're not coming with us?" I ask

"Yes, but not yet." His voice is like melted chocolate poured over ripe cherries and covered in fresh caramel. "We'll meet them back home. But first, I believe a reception and food is in order."

Home.

The word echoes in my head. Not the home I grew up in, not the house I played in. My new home. A world of fire, pain and screaming souls that will never quit whining. That's where I'll be living for the rest of eternity. Oh, the joy. I'm so excited to live there I could almost jump out of his arms and run screaming down the street.

Cautiously, Lucifer climbs the step of the carriage, careful to maneuver me so I don't smack my head on the elaborately pained wood. Still, I involuntarily pull my head in. I don't trust him that much just yet. Once inside, he turns to set me down on one of the plush seat cushions. He's still holding me, which means I'm devoid of any balance. I grip his arm for an instant to steady myself, feeling his icy, smooth flesh under my fingers.

I find my equilibrium again and rest my back against the cool wood of the carriage. Lucifer takes his seat across from me and smiles, his bright golden eyes gleaming in the darkened room of our ride. He snaps his fingers and the coachman's reins crack again. The door swings shut, cutting off any contact I have with the outside world.

Tarioc cracks his reins a third time and the coach starts to move. It's smoother than I'd expected it to be, as if we're riding on polished glass. I peer out through a crack in the curtains and watch as our guests start to move toward their own carriages. I hadn't seen the rest of the hellish rides before; they'd been pulled around behind the church, waiting for ours to depart.

I settle back into my seat as we continue on our way. Through the small space of the window, I can see cars passing by us on the small, narrow streets. I wonder if they can even see us in our carriage.

With nerves wracking my body, I stare down at the handful of dead flowers in my hands. My nervous shaking has gone away, but my heart is still pounding. I'm now married to the most deviously infamous character in Christian theology, so I've got plenty to be nervous about.

"That's a lovely dress."

I look up to see him staring at me, a slight smile on his perfect lips. He's crossed one of his legs over the other and balances his elbow on his knee, resting his chin in his palm as he gazes at me. His feet are bare, yet I can see a sticky black slime coating the bottom flesh of his foot. It drips off in small globs, sizzling softly as it lands on the floor of the carriage.

Gross.

I swallow. "Thank you."

His lips twitch. "I'd love to see it unbuttoned."

And we're off.

I pull back an inch, my eyes widening and my cheeks flushing. He's certainly straightforward. No petty compliments or time-consuming flattery. Nope. He's ready to go. I'm horny, and you look sexier than hell. Let's do it now.

I clamp my mouth shut. What do I say to that? Does an appropriate response exist for such a statement?

"Would you allow me such an honor?" His brows rise an inch, expectant.

I'm again rendered speechless. Most of the guys in my life who've wanted to date me usually started slower and waited for me to say I was ready. Lucifer has turned the waiting game on its head and stepped up to the plate in a way only he could. I'm out of my element here.

"I-I don't know." My heart wants to break out my chest and bolt out of the carriage.

He smiles and closes his eyes. "My dear Amelia, you have no idea what you've been tossed into, do you?"

I shake my head. "Not really. I know who you are and what happened between you and mom, but I'm not sure how this whole thing works."

"I see." His smile widens. "Then allow me to explain. I have been alive for far longer than you could ever imagine. Before the world was created, before humans were walking around. I lived with my father and the rest of the angels in what you would call Heaven."

I nod and stare at him, enraptured by his voice.

"Unfortunately, dad and I didn't get along too well. He said you were perfect, incredible, better." His eye twitches. "He and I had a disagreement and I was kicked out of the house and put in charge of running the septic systems you call Hell."

I nod again, still speechless. I figure it's safer to let him have his say than to interrupt.

"And over these many millennia, I've grown lonely. I have no one to talk to or play with or fuck endlessly. I've been rejected by a horde of young beauties all because I am who your preachers say I am."

I shrink back in my seat, afraid he'll explode.

"But then," he smiles again, "your mother comes along and grants me the opportunity to have a partner in this world of mine. True, she never did pay her half of the bargain, but that will be cleared up soon enough. What I'm excited about is you, my new queen."