64

Lucifer's eyes snap to me, a mix of confusion and annoyance swirling within their amber depths. "Your piercings?"

"That bitch." I whisper the words, but they're loud enough that Lucifer catches wind of them.

"Leyna," my husband starts, "What do you mean your piercings?"

I turn slowly, mirroring the time he takes and the gleam in his eyes that makes looking at someone seem so deadly. I'm so filled with anger and outrage and horror, I can barely look at him. I'm glaring at the wall behind him, wishing that the stone wall would burst into pieces and that one of the shards would somehow find its way into Leyna's head.

"Those piercings are mine," I spit the words at the ground.

He stares at me, dumbfounded and a little pissed. I understand why. I look like the woman he thinks has cursed his queen, and I'm being audacious enough to claim that the metal in the queen's body belongs to me. How dare I? But then again, it isthe truth and I have no problem standing my ground on this one.

He glares at me. "Those piercings belong to the queen. You dare to make a claim of them?"

I nod. "I'll make the same claim on the one I shoved into your nipple."

He jerks back and inch, now probably more shocked that angry. I smile to myself, glad to know that the memories we've shared have allowed me some ammunition to plead my case. I'm suddenly glad I paid attention to what he told me in the bath. If firing that at him doesn't save me, nothing will.

"The one you gave me!" His eyes narrow at me, filled with anger and alarm. "How dare you make such a claim, you spoiled, rotten little shit! I'll see you dead for telling such wishful, damning lies! Now tell me what you did to my queen!"

Despite his anger, I hold my ground. His fury has returned, but I can tell there are a few grains of hope and worry in his eyes. He's hoping what he's seeing now is the truth and that his queen is really right in front of him, but he's worried it could also be a trick and that his heart is betraying him.

Oh, no. My Lucifer, this isn't a trick. I promise.

I drop my head, gathering whatever strength I have left. When I look at him again, I've mentally shrugged on my royal vestments and grabbed my crown. If he wants to believe that Leyna is really me, then I'll prove him wrong here and now. I'll tell him something only I could know -- something Leyna has no idea of.

"When you spoke to me in the bath, you poured your heart out. You told me slivers of your past and the reasons why you became what you are. You're angry, jealous and hurt. Betrayed by your own family and left for dead, then blamed for anything bad that happens. You tore your heart open and let me see the pain and misery inside of you, something you've never done to anyone."

His eyes widen, filled with confusion, anguish...and a tiny bit more hope. I smile at him. This is exactly what I wanted. To have him see that I'm really his queen, that I know things only his real queen could know. That the woman he spilled his heart to is right in front of him.

I continue. "You promised me in that bath that you would do your best to be a good husband. I believed you, and I ask you to uphold your word to me. I ask you to trust me, to listen to me, to stop thinking like an angel and start thinking like a man. You said you loved me, and I said I would do my best to give you the same love and respect that you've needed for so long. I told Michael that I would never turn against you unless you turned against me. I'm proving that now. I need you to love me now, and trust that what I'm telling you is no lie or trick. Please."

I take a breath, my body shaking and my heart pounding. I've let loose everything I know about him, said every truth I've learned. I can only hope he sees through this disguise and recognizes me.

He stands completely still, staring at me. His eyes are wide, his breathing is shallow, and he looks ready to either scream or cry. Slowly, his eyes shift to that strange hollowed look and his body relaxes. His eyes flick to me, and a tiny, sad smile spreads across his face. He spreads his arms a bit, his wings unfurling and his unfairly magnificent body straightening.

"My queen," he whispers.

I squeal and bolt towards him, throwing myself into his arms with enough force to knock him to the ground. He falls willingly, and the two of us crash to the floor. I wrap my arms around his waist and bury my face into the muscled strength of his chest, excited and relieved that I finally proved myself tonight. I feel his arms wrap around my waist, his cheek nuzzling my hair, the soft feathers of his wings tickling my skin,

There's a torrent of emotions flooding my head, and all of them comebursting out at once. All my anger and frustration and happiness coalesce intoa burning need to cry my heart out, and I let it loose. I tighten my grip and Ipress my cheek against his chest, letting my tears flow onto his flawless skin.I let it go, and it feels so good to vent my emotions, even if it is throughtears.

"Ah," he whispers, "That's it, then."

Taking a shaky breath, I look up at him with wide, questioning, tear-stainedeyes. "What's it?"

He smiles down at me, reaching out to stroke Leyna's red hair from my face."You've proved your point."

I swallow, trying to clear my thoughts as tears continue to stream down mycheeks. "I have?"

He nods, his smile growing an inch. "Demons never cry."

A smile breaks onto my lips. Once again, my humanness has saved my ass. Mydelicate emotions and unstable hormone levels have helped me solidify my statusas Lucifer's rightful queen. Thank fucking God.

I may be human, but my inability to hold back my emotions has screwed you,Leyna.