87

"How long have you two been split?" I ask cautiously

He thinks for a moment, calculating the number of light-years that have passed. "A few millennia, at least. I can't remember exactly how long. Perhaps once man became 'man' and started to screw themselves over."

"Oh..." I trail off, not sure how to respond.

We burst into the light-filled main hall, once again stuffed full of demons and succubae. I'm relieved to be out of that maze, and I'm honestly looking forward to hearing the endless chatter of the demons that surround us. It's almost a blessing compared to the deathly silence of that cavern.

"Come," Lucifer pulls me down the hall. "I promised him we'd wait in our room."

I'm gently dragged through a parting sea of demons, each bowing to us as we pass. They immediately resume their conversations once we're gone. Lucifer pulls my hand harder, anxious to speed me up so we can get back to our room.

"What exactly did you tell him?" I ask, curious to know the thought they shared.

My husband grins over his shoulder at me. "Something he'll love. I'll explain when we're back."

"Hey! But I-"

I'm cut off as Lucifer yanks on my arm, flying down the hallway with me trying desperately to keep up. I nearly lose my footing a few times, but I manage to regain my step before I end up being dragged across the floor behind him. I can't see anything out of place, but Lucifer is moving so fast I could swear there's a trail of fire behind us.

We reach the door to our room in record time. Lucifer pauses just long enough to haul the door open before dragging me into our bedroom and slamming the door behind him. I stumble slightly, trying to regain my balance after having to run so quickly. My husband's cold hands wrap themselves over my shoulders, holding me steady as I clear my head.

"You alright?" His breath cascades down my back, making me shiver.

I nod. "Fine. I wish you wouldn't rush like that. It makes me dizzy."

"Ah, I'm sorry." He trails kisses along the back of my neck. "I'm just excited."

"About what? You promised you'd tell me what the two of you were thinking."

He sighs. "I thought it would be a good idea for him to explore you a bit."

I spin on my feet, staring up at him with a mix of shock and confusion. "Explore me how? What did you say?"

There's a sly smile caressing his lips. "A threesome would be nice, no?"

I'm stunned into silence. A threesome? With that thing? Even is Satan is technically his other half, I can't quite fathom sleeping with him. He's not my devilishly playful debonair husband, so any images of coupling with him make my stomach turn. I shiver inside myself at the thought of those clawed hands touching me. For Lucifer to suggest such a thing...if I had the guts to do it, I'd slap him.

His smile fades instantly. "You don't like my idea?"

I shake my head. "No."

His shoulders slump, and he looks almost hurt. "Why not?"

Really? You have to ask?

"I just..." I pause, trying to formulate my thoughts. "He's so different from you. And we've just met. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing something so intimate with him this soon."

It's the most conservative I can keep it. As much as I'd like to scream that he's disgusting and scary and downright weird, I remind myself that dark creature is my husband's opposite half. Of course he knows how his other half looks, so yelling insults will only injure him. That, and I have to stay in queen mode. Losing my temper here and now will just make it worse.

Lucifer sighs and looks away for an instant. "You don't like him, do you?"

I shake my head again. "No. Not at all. I'm frightened of him. I can't tell if he'll be as playful and thoughtful as you are, or if he's just going to throw me onto the bed and do what he wants. I don't know if he'll accidentally hurt me. I've barely met him. I don't trust that side of you yet."

I'm sorry, but I had to say it.

I know what I've said probably hurts, but it's better than lying to him about it. At least now he knows my concerns. I won't have to dance around his questions or try and switch to another subject.

He sighs again and walks toward the bed, sitting down on the thick blankets and staring at the floor. "I didn't know you were that uncertain of me."

I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY! I'M REALLY SORRY!

My gut twists itself into a pretzel. Great, now I've wounded him. And just when the dust had settled and things were staring to get better. I chew my lip and shift on my feet, unsure of how I can fix this. A blowjob, while fabulous, wouldn't help anything. This is something that will have to be discussed.

"I didn't mean to hurt your feelings about this..." It's the most honest start I can make right now.

He's silent for a moment, then looks up at me with a soft smile. "I understand. He's a part of who I am on so many levels, but he's not me. You have every right to be concerned about his appearance or his behavior. He's the one giving me a bad reputation, so year concerns are completely reasonable."

I take a cautious step forward. "Lucifer..."

He shakes his head. "I told you, I understand. I know him. He won't be gentle or kind with you. You're as much his queen as you are mine, but he'll use and abuse you for as long as he can. I just thought it would be a good idea for you to get to know each other just once so you'd know who you were really dealing with."

My conscience and my heart are screaming at me to fall to my knees and apologize. Looking at him right now makes my soul crack a bit. This was incredibly important to him, and I've shot down any semblance of joy or hopefulness he has left. I scowl to myself. The devil isn't the only one who can wound people.

Nice work. Would you like to tell him he's an idiot and worthless, too?

I sigh to myself and pick at my fingernails. I want to fix this, to make him smile again and know he's happy. But my fear and uncertainty are holding me back. Suddenly, my mind starts to race through all of the shitty things – Leyna, my mother selling me, Lilith – that I've survived here. I was afraid of everything, but I managed to pick myself up and kick some ass. My fear can get the better of me sometimes, but I'm not one to back down from something just because I'm afraid. Eventually, I'll psych myself up and charge at it with everything I've got.

Like now?