84

Lucifer turns to look at Lilith, his expression still filled with pain

    Lucifer turns to look at Lilith, his expression still filled with pain. "Kerion came to see me after I broke the news."

Lilith nods. "As he should. He's a good friend of yours. Coming in your time of grieving is a good thing for him to do."

Lucifer nods and swallows. "He told me he and Amelia had sought you out. They requested your help to deal with Leyna."

Lilith's face falls, her ocean-blue eyes slowly widening with shock. True, I actually told him what had happened, but hearing him say Kerion ratted her out is far more painful and believable. A slow smile crosses my face and I watch Lilith's charade slowly implode.

Lucifer is still staring at her with pained eyes. "Why didn't you help her? She needed you. You could have saved her. You could have saved me."

Lilith's mouth drops open, and a soft, strangled sound escapes her throat. She knows her plan is falling to pieces, and I can almost see the gears in her head spinning as she tries to find a way to save her ass.

"Sire, I..." she trails off, desperately seeking an escape.

Although still sorrowful, Lucifer's expression shifts slightly to show his growing anger. "You sacrificed all of us. You put everything we have in jeopardy. And for what? Because she was human? Because you hated her?"

Lilith gives a nervous smile. "Lucifer, please. She's just a human. She wasn't that important. The world still turns and people still sin. Just because she died doesn't mean we have to stop everything and grieve. We can all still move on and heal ourselves. And each other."

Damn. This woman just doesn't give up.

The tears on my husbands face have dried and the dark marks have faded. His 'sorrow' has been replaced with anger, and he gives Lilith a wicked, malicious smile.

"Heal ourselves," he whispers. "Oh, I know exactly how to heal myself."

He rises from the bed, standing at his full height as he glares down at Lilith. He flicks his fingers at her, beckoning her to stand. She does, swallowing loudly, as she rises to face my pissed-off husband. Lucifer smiles kindly at her, reaching out to cup her face in his hands. He forces her to make eye contact with him, his kind smile turning more malicious by the second.

"That kind of action – sacrificing the queen and our world...Oh, Lilith. It's not good. Not good at all. It's treasonous." He purrs the words at her, stroking her hair in his hands. "There must be consequences for such deplorable actions."

Lilith is shaking in her skin, horrified that her betrayal has been revealed and that she's about to pay for it. Her lip trembles, and I almost hear see her mind nearly screaming for her to apologize and beg for mercy. But she won't. Her pride will never allow it.

"I have a surprise for you," Lucifer whispers. He turns his head towards me and nods, a warm, welcoming smile on his lips.

I smile and nod, straightening my dress and making sure everything is in place. Gently, I push one of the doors open and step out into the bedroom, smiling triumphantly at Lilith. Her eyes go wide, absolute shock and horror crossing her beautiful face. She'd been banking on Leyna actually finishing me off, but here I was, her greatest enemy, standing just feet from her with a devilish smile plastered to my face.