94

The man's grin widens

    The man's grin widens. "Hey there, 'chelly girl."

I cry out and pull back, cupping my hand over my mouth. It is my father, the man I loved and adored and who was taken away from me so suddenly and violently. Tears flow down my cheeks, painful, heartbroken tears that render all my strength useless. I sink into the bedding, crying for reasons too painful to explain or understand.

Lucifer walks quietly over to me, looping his arm around my shoulders and pulling me against his chest. His cool hands rub my skin and run through my hair, calming my heart and soothing my soul a little.

"Your mother sacrificed him to gain power. She never gave you the chance to tell him anything," he croons in my ear. "I called him down for you. I wanted to redeem myself to you and give you what your mother never could."

I manage to calm my crying enough to look up at him. His glorious smile almost burns my eyes, and this rare act of kindness tears at my heartstrings. He's too beautiful and loving to be real, yet here he is. All glory and heart and love, despite what Michael may say.

He presses his palm against my back, slowly inching me off the bed. My lip trembles as I watch him, still stunned that a creature so dark and sadistic could be this generous.

He keeps nudging me forward. "Go say goodbye."

I nod and slip of the bed, trying to keep as much decorum and poise as I can. Unfortunately, once my feet touch the floor, my queenly strength dissolves as I rush towards my father, my tears flying behind me. I crash into him, knocking him back a few steps as I wrap my arms tightly around him. I bury my face into his shirt and weep, crying out all my pain and anger and sorrow.

My father laughs and strokes my hair, kissing the top of my head as he does. "It's okay, kiddo. I'm right here. I've missed you, too."

"I'm sorry" I cry into his shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"For what? You're not the one who did this to me."

I shake my head like a small child. "I never got to say I loved you or goodbye or anything! I didn't stop mom! I didn't do anything!"

My father pulls me tight against him, stroking my hair as gently as he can. "Amelia, you were fifteen. You couldn't have done anything. Your mother may have set this up, but my death was still an accident. None of this falls on you."

Dad's reassurances can't stop my tears. Four years worth of fury, heartbreak and confusion are pouring out of me, and he's getting the full blast. Ever since my mother made that damn deal with Lucifer, I've blamed myself for never doing anything to save my father. I've wondered why she'd picked him and no one else. Why I didn't choose to go with him on that trip and die, too. Questions that were redundant and painful to ask, but spun through my head anyway. Accusations of myself that piled on unnecessary guilt for a crime I didn't commit.

Slowly, I recover from my guilt trip and dry my tears. I pull away from my father, wiping my eyes and regaining control of my breathing. It still hurts to know I've lost him, but four years is time enough to sit down and forgive yourself. I didn't do anything to harm him, but it's still easy to carry the blame when you're a child. And at fifteen? Dear God, how was I able to stay sane?

My father's warm calloused hands cup my face and tilt my chin up. He smiles down at me, tall and imposing as always. But as big and bulky as my father was, he was always the kindest and warmest person in the room. This was the man who helped me with my homework, went prom dress shopping with me and taught me how to pitch. It was almost like dad was more of a mother than my mom was, and I adored him for it.

"Hey," he brushes a strand of hair from my face. "You're fine, alright? You're the same smart, sweet, loving grill I raised, right?"

I nod, choking back the remainder of my tears.

He grins. "Good. Now, let me see."

He releases my face and steps back, looking me over with curious eyes. The realization of what he's actually seeing – me with a very revealing dress and sex hair – washes over me and I blush furiously. This is definitely not what every father has envisioned for his daughter when she grows up, but he no doubt knows the situation I've been pushed into won't necessarily follow the straightest path.

My father clears his throat softly and gives me a strained smile. "Well, it's not... what I was expecting."

I flush deeper and give him a shy smile. "Ditto."

Dad sighs and smiles wider. "But you look beautiful either way."

I giggle shyly. "Thanks."

Dad steps forward again, cupping my cheek in his hand and grinning sorrowfully at me. My heart sinks. I knew he couldn't stay here forever. I sigh heavily but force a smile anyway.

"I have to go now, sweetheart." he whispers. "I was wonderful to see you again."

I launch myself forward and wrap my arms around his neck. "I love you."

He hugs me back. "I love you, too, 'chell. Take care of yourself. And watch your mother."

I hold onto him for as long as I can before reluctantly letting him go. It would be selfish of me to keep him here just because I miss him, and he needs to move on as much as I do. Dad's eyes are as pained as mine, but we both recognize the need for him to go back to wherever Lucifer called him from.

My father's eyes flick up for an instant, narrowing when he spots my husband. "And you."

I turn to see Lucifer still sitting on the bed, his head snapping up to stare back at my father. His eyes are wide with surprise, obviously caught off guard by my father's stern voice. His spine straightens and his wings flutter slightly, waiting to be addressed.

"You take care of her," dad growls at him while placing his hands on my shoulders, his parental instincts going into overdrive. "I swear, if any harm comes to her, I'll teleport myself back down here and tear your eyes out with my bare hands."

Lucifer smiles warmly and nods. "Sir, she's in the best hands possible. I wouldn't dream of letting her get hurt."

Dad's mouth tightens, a warning light that he's about to say something that will put his opponent in his place. "You didn't do so well protecting her from that succubus."

Oh! Burn!

Lucifer's smile fades, and a look of shocked wariness crosses his face. My gut tightens. Dad's stepped over the invisible line and challenged Lucifer on his most infamous fault with me. First I'm elated to see my father again, now I'm scared my husband will burn him to a crisp.

Lucifer takes a deep breath, a slow, dark smile crossing his lips. "Touché. I'll watch her more closely from now on."

Dad smiles proudly and nods. I release my breath, relieved that neither man has decided to go for the jugular and start a real fight. My dad's shown his spine and my husband's proven his self-control. Reason and rationality have overcome testosterone this round.

Well played, you two. Now separate.

 Now separate